Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

My Jaguar XJ8 3.2 Sport (X308) 1998, has the gearshift

My Jaguar XJ8 3.2...

My Jaguar XJ8 3.2 Sport (X308) 1998, has the gearshift stucked in park position and also the rear brake lights dont switch on...

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Yes, it was changed one year ago with a premium DOT4 brake fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried make a reset switching off the battery for a few minutes, and the problem its not solve.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I thing is switch in the brake pedal...

3/13/2021
Jaguar Mechanic: JagDoc, European Shop Owner replied 1 year ago
JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today. I've been working on Jaguars for over 30 years now, so I should be able to help you through this. Please understand that some of my suggestions may require special diagnostic tools and equipment that many home mechanics may not have, but are often required. So, my first question is whether you're planning on performing your own repairs, or are you wanting to be armed with information before bringing it into your mechanic?

Also, the site automatically prompts for a phone call. It's very rare that I'm available by phone, so let's hold off on that for now. If needed after we exchange some information, I will do my best to take the time for the call.

Luckily, in this case, with your description of the brake lights not functioning, you will need to replace the brake light switch down on the pedal cluster. In the meantime, if you need to release the shift handle, I can help with that

JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Jason!
The problem is when I press the brake pedal the brake lights sometimes switch on, and all the three brake lights (left, central interior and right) but the gearshift stay in parking mode.
Could you tell me the spare part ref./number of brake light switch down on the pedal cluster, the VIN off my car is: *****************

The brake light switch part number for US models is LNB 6420BB, but can't guarantee this is the same for your market

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok! Jason,
I will check the part number with Jaguar - Portugal or with my usual provider SNG Barrat (UK).
Thank you for your quick and clear answer.
Have a nice weekend,
Kindest Regards!

Very glad to help!