Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2004 S Type R Gearbox fault codes, Shifting issues has been…

Customer Question
2004 S Type R...

2004 S Type R Gearbox fault codes, Shifting issues has been going on for a while. I have learded how to drive it this way but I want to have it finally fixed

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 Jaguar?

S-Type R

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S-Type R yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced battery. Check fluid levels Person I bought it fropm had changed shifting solidoids trying to resolve sold it to me without telling me the problems he was having

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am sorry for what I did lol

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jaguar
3/4/2021
Jaguar Mechanic: Ian Crabtree,
 replied 1 year ago
Ian Crabtree

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** here to help. what are the fault codes and is the vehicle struggling to select gears or missing gears.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shifts hard from 1st to 2nd if throttle too heavy. Somerimes throws a hearbox fault code and will not shift above. Shut off engine and restart will allow normal operationSometimes 5th to 6th same but much more rare.If i leave transmission in performance mode is less likely to happen. If i use very light throttle through second i can then drive normalSorru. Gearbox fault. Cantvfc remember the code numberI have been researching this for a long time. If you are unfamilliar with this issue you have some catching up to do. Hoping to find someone who has found the solution. Every thread i read is same situation and never answer back when they figure it iut
Jaguar Mechanic: Ian Crabtree,
 replied 1 year ago

If the guy that sold it to you wasn't a gear box specialist the fault will still be with the solenoids as they are doing all the work and found that people are not using new parts or cleaning the valve body's out properly. It actually might even need the valve body replacing DIY on these boxes doesn't usually work to well. Regards Ian

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was done at a Jaguar Dealership. Only reason I know about it was because was on the carfax. problem was not solvedI believe the valve body was replaced
Jaguar Mechanic: Ian Crabtree,
 replied 1 year ago

Hi would need the code to be more specific to the fault and I appreciate its been done at the dealer but the symptoms relate to repairs already done. Are you able to get the code please regards Ian.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am unable at this time I have cleared the codes and they will have to reaccur my wife if driving car so not with me thanks Ian.
Jaguar Mechanic: Ian Crabtree,
 replied 1 year ago

Sorry I couldn't get directly to the fault. but once that code comes in it will make the diagnostic easier. Regards Ian.