Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Gearbox failure; however auto starts occasionally.

Gearbox failure; however auto...

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Headlights on. However, battery is not fully charged.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

Jaguar/x-type/2002

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Should I have the battery fully charged before moving forward to my mechanic?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should I have the battery fully charged?

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/2/2021
Jaguar Mechanic: JagDoc, European Shop Owner replied 1 year ago
JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today. I've been working on jaguars for over 30 years now, so I should be able to help you through this. Please understand that some of my suggestions may require special diagnostic tools and equipment that many home mechanics may not have, but are often required. So, my first question is whether you're planning on performing your own repairs, or are you wanting to be armed with information before bringing it into your mechanic?

Also, the site automatically prompts for a phone call. Please ignore this site prompt for now. It's very rare that I'm available by phone. If needed after we exchange some information, I will do my best to take the time for the call.

Couple of questions:

1) what are the exact symptoms you're experiencing?

2) have you have the transmission control module scanned for fault codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Eventually, I will transport to the mechanic. However, I want to know if I should fully charge my battery?

Well, the battery should always be fully charged no matter what.

I'm still unsure of your exact symptoms though. Does the car start, run and drive as normal? Or do you just have the gearbox failure light on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it runs normal. It was operating fine this morning. I turned it off; however, it would turn on.Once running the gearbox light is off.1) The only symptom is the gearbox light came on.
2) I have not had the transmission control module scanned for fault codes.

Ok, got that. So you'll definitely need to get that transmission computer scanned for faults. That's the first step. Hoping you have a mechanic familiar with Jaguar?

Here is some testing information for them:

Tests/Procedures:

1. Check to see if the brake lights are working, if not check the power supply to the brake switch and replace switch if power is present.

2. To properly diagnose, a Jaguar compatible scanner will need to be used to check for codes in the J-Gate module.

3. The "Brake on" message is transmitted out to the bus and the J-Gate, then powers and grounds the interlock solenoid if it is working properly.

4. Fuse #50 at the inside fuse box is for the J-Gate.

5. See service bulletin XT307-01.

Tech Tips:

With scan tool check for inputs of park/neutral switch in the PCM, gear position in the transmission, and the "not in park" switch in the J-Gate.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. The brake lights are working.
2. I'll have to check with the mechanic to see if he has a Jaguar compatible scanner.
3. I'll check with him on this.
4. I will check fuse #50.
5. What's service bulletin XT307-01?

Attaching service bulletin

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the service bulletin

My pleasure

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I read over the service bulletin and I assume this is what the mechanic should use to repair the vehicle?The only part to purchase is the J-Gate assembly?

Not before actually performing the diagnostic steps starting with scan tool check and fluid check. That service bulletin only covers operations if the fault codes are one or more of 8 specific ones.

And no, do not purchase, replace or repair anything until a proper diagnostic is done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay. You are most helpful. Therefore, I should check and see if the mechanic has the scan tool check and fluid check?

Yes, that is correct

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Basically, I am checking for the DTC's and then proceed from there.

That is correct

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Respectfully, ***** ***** to the mechanic I should inquire if they have a Jaguar type scan tool? I failed to mention that my car started this morning operated without difficulty. However, when I attempted to restart it it would turn over.

I would personally choose a shop who knows Jaguar well. This is a good locator service: https://www.jagshops.com/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.

Glad to help

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Again, you have been most helpful. Do you mind if I follow up with you? Thank you.

Yep, you can add me as a favorite, or go to my page here, and as a question directly from there, which will be directed to me: https://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-eurodoc/

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay!

Thanks

JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I contacted a few shops and no one has the Jaguar scan tool to check the codes. I might have to take to the dealer. But, I'll check a few more shops. What's your suggestion?

Unfortunately, I can only offer the proper steps to take to diagnose the problem, but I have no way of doing such a thing remotely, so you will still have to find a capable shop.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Thank you.

Sure thing