Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1997 Jaguar XK8. 1997 Jaguar XK8. When the battery is

Second opinion] 1997 Jaguar...

Second opinion] 1997 Jaguar XK8

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your XK8 unit?

1997 Jaguar XK8

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far with your XK8?

When the battery is connected, after approx. 8 seconds, the Emergency Flashers turn on, and the starter motor doos not kick in when the ignition key is turned. Normally, I disconnect the battery as the car is not used often and the electric clock will drain the battery, which by the way was new last April.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

Not for now, thanks

1/23/2021
Jaguar Mechanic: Chris(aka-Moose), Jaguar Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Jaguar Technician

Howdy from Tennessee, I'm Chris aka Moose. Who am I helping today? I'm glad you've come here to get help. I will do my best to get the answer you are looking for. I help many customers, so sometimes my replies are delayed, I will respond once available. I try to be online at 1-5 pm and 10 pm-5 am every day.

• When the key is turned to the RUN position is everything in the cab powering up just as if you were driving down the road?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The last record I have of work done to the car is on 7/17/2015 when the A/C was recharged. I fitted a new battery in April last year myself. The mislead in 2015 was 66,654 and is now 66,888.
With the ignition turn ON the wipers, windows and interior fan all work.
I noticed messages as follows:
Incorrect part fitted
Engine fault
Gearbox fault
The car was last driven a few weeks ago and I noticed that the door locks were not operating with the key fob.
Today is the first time I have seen any fault messages.
Thanks

Thanks for those details.

• Do you have a scan tool to see what codes are stored?
  • With the key on, what is the battery voltage?
  • Will the engine crank with the shifter in neutral?
  • Do the reverse lights work while in reverse?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will have time to answer your questions tomorrow.
Thank you.

Thanks,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With the key in the run position everything in the cab powers up.
My OBD11 reader gives me a link error.
Key off battery voltage 12.17
Key on voltage 11.95
Shifter is in Park, it appears it wil not go into Neutral or Reverse, I did not attempt to force it.
Thanks.
I am thinking of taking the battery to get it checked out?

The battery is weak based on those numbers but it should still crank.

Do the brake lights work with the pedal applied?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I charged the disconnected battery overnight, it now reads 12.41V.
The brake lights do not work with the pedal applied (ignition off). I noticed that when the emergency flashers are on/off/on/off, during the “off” sequence, the brake lights are “on” and vice versa.
Thanks

Do the brake lights work with the key on, I am trying to see why you can't shift from park to see if the engine will start in neutral.

If you turn the key then go to the starter and briefly short across the black wire and white/red wire. Will it crank and will it start?

Since you were not able to reply to the info request I sent. I cannot be as accurate and thorough as I would like in my answer. I hope what I can provide does help.

If the starter will do nothing when bypassed. That can indicate the starter is faulty or the starter has poor wiring connections causing resistance.

Thank you for seeking us for help, I hope I provided what was needed. Press reply if you need to follow up. If you liked my answer please let me know so I can mark your question complete. Moose

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, I did it get back to you. I have not had the opportunity to act on your previous advice. I am 75 years old and have good days and bad days. Hopefully I will be able to take a look again this morning. Thanks for your help, ***** *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I assume the black wire and white/red wire you refer to are under the car? Do you know offhand which side of the car is the starter motor?
(I am working in a very confined space).
Thanks, ***** *****

Paul, the starter is on the passenger side of the engine.

Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), Jaguar Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not tried to jump the starter motor yet as the temperature as been below freezing lately. I still have the basic problems I first described. I tried a hard reset of the electrical system to no avail. The emergency flashers still come after about seconds.
I will let you go and give you a good recommendation for your efforts.
Thankyou, ***** *****

Keep in touch as needed, Paul