Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I am contemplating a purchase of a 2009 XJ8 VDP. I am

I am contemplating a...

I am contemplating a purchase of a 2009 XJ8 VDP. I am concerned about issues with battery located in a trunk. I will be disconnecting the battery for weeks or sometimes months while not driving the car (if I am out of town).

Mechanic's Assistant: What exactly is happening to the trunk?

Sorry I pressed the wrong button too soon. So how could I open the trunk to reconnect the battery and charge it if the battery was earlier disconnected and there is no access to the trunk. If connecting positive bolt by the fuse box and negative to charger will open the trunk even if the battery was disconnected. Thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not fixing anything yet. I am trying to avoid potential problem with no access to the trunk and battery when battery was previously disconnected

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is all for now.

6/18/2020
Jaguar Mechanic: JagDoc, European Shop Owner replied 2 years ago
JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today. I've been working on Jaguars for over 30 years now, so I should be able to help you through this.

Also, the site automatically prompts for a phone call. It's very rare that I'm available by phone, so let's hold off on that for now. If needed after we exchange some information, I will do my best to take the time for the call.

So this one is pretty easy. In cases where the battery my lose charge (although I do recommend a trickle charger if the car is sitting weeks at a time), then there is a manual key in the fob, and a lock cylinder next to the license plate light. However, I would recommend keeping this lubricated, and actually use it every once in a while, since they're often not touched for years.

Thanks, ***** ***** this particular model (2009 XJ8 VDP) there is a cylinder next to a plate light. I was not sure, but now it sounds easy.Thanks for your help.

Yep, glad to do so. Take a look under there next time you're near one, and you'll see it.

JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner