Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

In a 2007 Jaguar XJ8 after replacing battery every time the…

In a 2007 Jaguar...

In a 2007 Jaguar XJ8 after replacing battery every time the car is in motion I hear a rapid chiming. Not when I put it in gear but when it actually begins to move.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Original

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've tried calibrating the parking brake

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have the "Cannot Apply Park Brake" warning message. It was there before I replaced the battery as well.

2/22/2019
Jaguar Mechanic: JagDoc, European Shop Owner replied 3 years ago
JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner

Hello, I'm Jason and will be helping you with your Jaguar problem. Here is a procedure that should get you sorted out, as long as there isn't a failed component within the parking brake system. If there IS a fault that won't clear from this procedure, then a Jaguar-specific scan tool will be necessary

SERVICE PROCEDURE:

1.Reset the EPBCM:

1. Switch off the ignition.

2. Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds (see TOPIx Workshop Manual, section 414-01).

3. Re-connect the battery.

2.Start the engine.

3.Firmly apply and release the foot brake five times.

4.Confirm that the message 'NOT CALIBRATED' or 'APPLY FOOT AND PARK BRAKE' is displayed on the instrument cluster message center. This indicates that the parking brake is in calibration mode.

5.Lightly press the foot brake.

6.Apply the parking brake by using the EPB switch.

7.Release the parking brake.

8.Release the foot brake.

9.Confirm that the brake warning lamp is no longer illuminated on the instrument pack and that the 'NOT CALIBRATED' message is no longer displayed in the message center.

10.Apply and release the EPB five times to make sure no error is present

JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner
This is the same calibration steps I have already used. However, I didn't get the Not Calibrated message.

Understood. This is truly the only procedure the home DIY mechanic can do before a Jaguar-specific scan tool is needed to determine the EPB fault code. Possible switch, possible caliper, possible wiring harness, but the last thing you would want to do is throw a thousand dollars worth of parts at it, when ultimately a proper diagnostic can sort it out in less than an hour.

I can certainly direct you to a competent Jaguar independent shop if you'd like.