Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have an '03 S-Type with close to 170K miles. The

Hi Pearl, I have...

Hi Pearl, I have an '03 S-Type with close to 170K miles. The transmission downshifts hard, especially into first gear upon deceleration. What are the options that will solve the problem--short of getting a new car, of course.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

Just last Friday at the dealer. A couple of years ago I had the same problem and they resolved it by tweaking something--I know the transmission is sealed. Now they say tweaking it again might result in it getting locked into gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, all the work on it has been done by a Jaguar dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's pretty much it. Just want to know what my options are. Is the transmission worn out? I was told they are pretty bulletproof. Do I need a rebuilt transmission? Another car? Thinking about a used relatively new XF.

1/28/2019
Jaguar Mechanic: john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to just answer! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Let's get started! Sorry to hear your having Issues with your Jaguar! Is the engine light on? ANy tranny codes in the system? was the fluid level and condition checked?

Vehicle has been serviced at the Jaguar dealership since purchase in 2008 with 42K on the clock. No check engine light, fluid level and condition was OK when checked at dealership last Friday.

Then its likley a valve body or internal pressure loss in the trans...And with those miles rebuild or replace is the wisest

john -aka eauto
Maybe replace the car is the wisest. Thanks for the information/second opinion!

Your welcome

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto