Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Evap monitor wont set, no codes and over 200 m,iles, 2003…

Customer Question
Evap monitor wont set ...

Evap monitor wont set

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the Jaguar? Have any warning codes popped up?

No codes and over 200 m,iles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

2003 xtype

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

Im a shop and my scanner just stopped working so trying to get an idea of faults

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Jaguar
jag has 164k miles no codes runs good also has comp monitor not readyam i in contact with someone this is my first time doing this
1/17/2019
Jaguar Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 3 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, the evap monitor is the hardest one to set to readiness on Jags. Below is the drive cycle just for this monitor and may take 3-4 times before it will set.

2003 Jaguar X-Type (X400)

Evaporative System Monitor Drive Cycle

• Evaporative System Monitor Drive Cycle

EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE

EVAPORATIVE SYSTEM MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE

1. Ensure that fuel filler cap is fully closed (minimum three clicks).
2. Fuel level > 30% and < 85%.
3. Using WDS, perform ECM DTC Clear (even if no DTCs are flagged).
4. Drive vehicle for a minimum of 2 minutes, and until engine is at normal operating temperature.
5. Using WDS, ensure that the EVAP Canister Purge Valve is operating by observing PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE - DUTY CYCLE . If the valve is not active, ECM adaptions have not been learned. Conduct a green ECM Drive Cycle
6. Drive vehicle to the road where the EVAP System Drive Cycle will be conducted. Stop vehicle and switch OFF the ignition. Leave ignition OFF for 30 seconds, and then restart the engine.
7. Accelerate briskly to 80 km/h (50 mph) ensuring that the engine speed reaches a minimum of 3500 rpm for a minimum of 5 seconds.
8. (0.040-inch EVAP Test) View WDS PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE - DUTY CYCLE, CANISTER CLOSE VALVE - VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM, and FUEL TANK PRESSURE - VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM . Avoiding high engine loads, drive the vehicle steadily between 65 km/h (40 mph) and 100 km/h (60 mph). Avoid driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel movement. WDS should give an indication that the test is active (it may take up to 30 minutes before the test will initialize). When the test has initialized (EVAP Canister Close Valve CLOSED), it will take approximately 90 seconds for the test to complete.
9. (0.020-inch EVAP Test) Continue driving vehicle as explained in Step 8 for an additional 10 minutes.
10. Gently coast the vehicle to a stop. Allow the engine to idle for 2 minutes and view WDS PURGE VAPOR MANAGEMENT VALVE - DUTY CYCLE, CANISTER CLOSE VALVE - VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM, and FUEL TANK PRESSURE - VAPOR RECOVERY SYSTEM . WDS should give an indication that the test is active. When the test has initialized (EVAP Canister Close Valve CLOSED), it will take approximately 90 seconds for the test to complete.
11. If the 0.020-inch EVAP Test is not activated, the purge system vapor concentration may be too great. To reduce the vapor concentration proceed as follows:
12. Drive the vehicle for an additional 30 minutes avoiding driving conditions that will produce excessive fuel movement. Repeat Step 10. If the 0.020-inch EVAP Test is still not activated, repeat the Drive Cycle from Step 6.
13. Using WDS, check for and clear flagged DTCs.

Just saw the last part of the comp monitor not ready either. Here is the drive cycle for it

COMPREHENSIVE COMPONENT MONITOR TRANSMISSION DRIVE CYCLE

The Comprehensive Component Monitor transmission drive cycle will check all transmission system components:
1. Engine and transmission at normal operating temperature. Ignition OFF; ensure that SPORT mode is NOT selected.
2. With gear selector in P and the ignition ON. Check gearshift interlock by attempting to move selector without pressing the brake pedal. Verify P state illumination.
3. Press and hold the brake pedal. Move the gear selector to R. Verify R state illumination.
4. Set the parking brake. Press and hold the brake pedal. Attempt to start the engine. The engine should not start.
5. Move the gear selector to N. Verify N state illumination. Start the engine.
6. With the hand brake set and the brake pedal pressed, move the gear selector to the remaining positions in the J-Gate (D, 4, 3, 2) for five (5) seconds each. Verify the state illumination in each position.
7. Move the gear selector back to 4. Verify 4 state illumination.
8. Move the gear selector to D. Verify D state illumination.
9. Move the gear selector to N. Verify N state illumination.
10. Select R, release the brakes and drive the vehicle in Reverse for a short distance.
11. Stop the vehicle.
12. Select*****the vehicle up to 65 km/h (40 mph). Hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
13. Select 3 and hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
14. Select 4 and hold 65 km/h (40 mph) for a minimum of five (5) seconds.
15. Select D and accelerate to a minimum speed of 80 km/h (50 mph). Hold 80 - 129 km/h (50 - 80 mph) for a minimum of 1.7 kilometers (1 mile).
16. Stop the vehicle; do not switch OFF the engine.
17. Use WDS Datalogger TOTAL NUMBER OF DTC SET to ensure that transmission DTC monitoring is complete.