Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have a p0460 error code with the check engine light. Could…

Customer Question
I have a p0460...

I have a p0460 error code with the check engine light. Could a fuel filter cause this in my 2001 jaguar xjr?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on mostly, and sometimes it is off all together. Also the fuel gage will read empty or start to slowly gain in level.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJR yourself? What have you tried so far?

I put a new gas cap to start. Now I am chasing the problem further .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

On acceleration in full auto (transmission), it hesitates like it needs to wind up the rubber band then it lets loose. Could this be connected?

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Jaguar
5/30/2018
Jaguar Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 20 days ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

there are 2 possible causes of this code- faulty fuel level sensor or faulty instrument cluster. With your symptoms, it will be the fuel level sensor. It is accessed from the trunk. see attached

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Is it necessary to drain the tank to change the fuel level sensor?
Are there any other safety related issues or needed parts requirements?

HI,

If the tank is full, you would need to drain it to 1/4 tank or less, or just drive it until that low.

No other parts needed. Just the fuel level sensor

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Won't I need a new seal?

OEM sensors should come with new seal. If you are buying aftermarket, you need to check to see if it is included or not and if not, then purchase, but most brands do include it

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
My car has the sensor in the top of the tank. What are the procedures to take the tank out enough to get to the top where the sensor opening is located. Also, are there any screens, filters or pumps that need to be dealt with?
Jaguar Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 19 days ago

I will opt out as I show it is accessed from the trunk. If another expert has directions that match what you are saying, they will post here to you

Customer reply replied 19 days ago
It seems that I may know more than your mechanic. In which case I am officially stating that I am unsatisfied and want a full refund and cancel all further funding for your services and programs. Thank you for your attempt.
Customer reply replied 19 days ago
For your information the fuel level sensor is not on the side of the tank but you access it from the top after pulling the tank from the car.
Jaguar Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 19 days ago
eric remington

May I have vehicle identification number. Membership and refunds handle through customer service . You must contact