Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Whoops sorry caps was on i have misfires and multiple codes…

Customer Question
HELLO! Whoops sorry caps...

HELLO! Whoops sorry caps was on i have misfires and multiple codes back story I've been wrenching for 20 years but not familiar with jags

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?

Yep

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

I have a 2003 XJR have p1631, 1642 and a few wandering misfire codes car will go into limp/failsafe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJR yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I do it all, except for manufacturer specific stuff (need software, etc)

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Curious on that 1631 code - couldnt find a lot about it on the google world lol Also, its intermittent

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Jaguar
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Codes regularly read: P1631
Intermittent: P0308, swapped cyl 8 and cyl 6 coils, now getting a p0304?? Usually accompanied by p1313
Intermittent "check gas cap" and p0455
Intermittent p1642
intermittent p1245
5/25/2018
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 23 days ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
HelloOther than when in limp mode does the engine ever run with a misfire?Does that P1631 always return after you clear it and the warning comes back on?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
At WOT i get a flashing CEL - the original code was for a P0308 (cyl 8 misfire.) I swapped the coils between #6 and #8, now i still get a flashing CEL at WOT, but now it's P0304 (oddly.) It's got 130k so I've ordered the proper plugs, as well as VC gaskets (found a little oil in cyl #6 spark plug well.) At this mileage I want to do that anyways, but the failsafe/limp mode was bad yesterday. Had to pull over and clear codes at least 15 times. Then it just stopped doing it. Was fine the rest of the way home, and again all day today.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
When the failsafe mode comes on i have no throttle. The only codes are P1631 and P1000 (the code that shows when other codes are present, I believe). It was raining yesterday, may or may not be related?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I'm the shop dispatcher for a busy Toyota service dept, so chat is easiest for me
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The 1631 code is always there when the car goes into failsafe
Ok thanks as that is what I expected. That code is for the throttle relay circuit. Could be an issue with the relay or wiring. We can try swapping out the throttle relay as a quick test. It is located under the ECM cover in the passenger rear of the engine compartment. I will send over a diagram.
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Perfect - let me know, I'll happily give it a shot! - would this also cause the misfires?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Swapped relays - stay tuned.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
No luck. Same codes and behavior.
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 22 days ago

Ok then we need to check the wiring for the relay and ECM. I will send over the wiring diagram. Click on the link.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
I see the diagram - where should I start checking?
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 20 days ago

Make sure we have battery voltage and current on the green/white wire off the relay. Then go to the ECM on pins 8 and 9 green/white wire on the 31 way white connector.

Richard, Jaguar Technician