Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

97 Jaguar xk8......Dead battery. I attempted to open by

Customer Question
97 Jaguar xk8......Dead battery...

97 Jaguar xk8......Dead battery. I attempted to open by attaching cable to positive nub under the bonnet. Looks like I shorted out something while attempting this. What did I blow????

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

The battery is located in the trunk. The battery is definitely dead so I attempted to attach a jumper cable on the contact points under the hood. I've done this before with success but this time I shorted something (a fuse perhaps )

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XK8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I'm not trying to fix it myself. I'm trying to get some items out of the trunk before I sell it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it in a nutshell!

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Jaguar
3/31/2018
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 21 days ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Ok there is a high power protection fuse that has most likely blown. These high power fuses are in the trunk next to the battery. There should be a hole in the XK emblem where you can use the black master key to open the trunk.Let me know.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
You are probably correct....unfortunately.......I have lost the trunk key. I am trying to access the trunk to remove some items that I placed in there.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
Is that it????? Is there a mechanical (non electrical ) to pop the trunk if there is no key??
Jaguar Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 20 days ago
eric remington
Let me have vin number. Do you have owner manual
Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Vin # is SAJGX2742VC 014973. Yes I still have the manuals. Is there a way to get a duplicate trunk key if all else fails? I plan on selling the car but what like to get some gear out of the trunk before I do.
Jaguar Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 18 days ago

g​etting another key is as simple as calling a locksmith..they will drive up to your residence and make a key on site

Jaguar Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 18 days ago

I​ will research repair info and see if I can find a way to open trunk under maintenance section.... can you take ou back seat? does woners manual lis t a alternate cable or button..did you check in glove bos? at the bottom of seat on the dash bottom of dash...look around

Jaguar Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 18 days ago

I​f you give the dealership your vehicle id number they may be able to get you a key...I would definitely look into that option

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Ok good news. I thought that they were specialty keys that only a dealer could create. In any event....back to my original question.....what did I blow in the electrical system when I attempted to attach a jumper cable to the hot cable and the ground???
Jaguar Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 18 days ago

ck by battery

Jaguar Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 18 days ago

do u have test lite meter

Customer reply replied 18 days ago
Ha! The battery is in the trunk (which I can't unlock)
Jaguar Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 18 days ago

CAN U TAKE OUT BACK SEAT

eric remington
eric remington
eric remington