Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have to move my gear into 2nd to take off. It does not…

I have to move...

I have to move my gear into 2nd to take off. It does not take off in drive..it's a automatic Jaguar s type 2001

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?

No fluid leaks and only have 55,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am planning to take it to a transmission mechanic tomorrow.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My regular mechanic who does the oil change told me to check out the transmission. Also the front right spindle is broken...smaller job though

3/20/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

I'd agree the 1st thing to try is to take look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the side fill plug if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

if this doesn't help then the 1st gear selection solenoid will need replacing

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Matt, Engineer
I have a few more questions, will I have to pay more money after rating you, or can I continue asking questions at no extra cost?