Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have a 2006 LR3 with the 4.4. I'm looking for

I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 LR3 with the 4.4. I'm looking for interchangeability of parts between it and any Ford engine. Head gaskets... anything.

Also interested if the 3.9 block is usable to swap for use in a 4.4 rebuild.... pistons and what not.
I'm looking to rebuild my 4.4 LR3 with as many quality Ford (cheaper) parts for the 3.9 as possible. Timing chains, timing chain tensioners, timing chain seals, all intake and exhaust manifolds, head gaskets, head bolts...ect. Pistons, rings, any bearings??
Thanks for any help you can offer.
Answered in 2 days by:
3/19/2018
JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner

I see this question has been hanging out here for a few days. Are you still in need of assistance?

Big time. Kinda thought I got burned. When to camp and forgot I signed up for this. Any help would be great. The truck is being shipped to me in a couple days and would like to have to info before it gets here.
A little info now would help with research and once the truck gets here maybe we can do some phone calls for a little more insight.
Ok it's pretty late for me to answer with any proper detail but will be happy to revisit tomorrow.

Ok, so the short answer is that literally no off-the-shelf Ford parts can be used to rebuild this engine. The engine itself was Jaguar-sourced, and even though Ford still had a lot of interest in Jag at the time, it was not a shared engine.

So the even shorter version, and the one that makes the most sense is sourcing a used engine with a decent warranty, and swap it out as a unit. MUCH less of a headache than trying to rebuild the thing. I see you're in Canada. A great source of Euro car and truck parts is Standard Auto Wreckers in St. Catherines.

3.9 L
The 3.9L (3934 cc) AJ30/AJ35 variant is a unique displacement used only by Ford and Lincoln and is built in Ford's Lima, OH engine plant. Bore is 86 mm (3.4 in) and stroke is 85 mm (3.3 in). The AJ35 version introduced for the 2003 model year added variable valve timing of the intake camshafts and electronic throttle control. While the block, crankshaft, pistons, and connecting rods are all unique to this displacement, many other parts are shared with the AJ-V8 engines produced in the UK by Jaguar.
This is from wiki. Even though is has a different bore and stroke same block lots of interchangeable parts.

Understood, but I own a brick and mortar Euro shop, and don't rely on Wiki for information, and when I use my resources to look up part numbers and interchangeability, I come to the conclusion that my suggestion makes the most sense. If you want to trial and error parts swapping for a few weeks, you're obviously more than welcome.

I find that my customers here would rather hear real world experience instead of an answer that they want to hear. Completely up to you on the direction you choose for this project.

Different philosophy. I do agree that an engine swap from a crashed vehicle with low km's is a good bet but its still a crap shoot. If I peel mine down, measure everything, hone the cylinders slightly, coat the pistons and install new bearings I know that engine will last. Not to mention I've now 100% familiarized myself with my equipment and will understand any future problems much better. It may not be possible. This engine was overheated. It might be nfg but if it's not I'd really like a cheaper source for all the accessory parts and if Ford made a variant that has bolt on parts at a much cheaper price I'm down with it.I'm certainly not saying I'm right and your wrong... its just my way. I'm super grateful for the Standard Auto Wreckers tip. I may need new heads or complete engine or who knows what.I'd like to stay in contact for future help, not if, but when I get in too deep. Research is one thing experience is another.

Yep, definitely different perspectives, and this one may be beyond what we could delve into here.

I tend to approach this questions with my eye on expediency and ROI (return on investment) from both a parts and time perspective. Considering the wholesale value on the average 06 LR3 V8 is somewhere in the $4500 range, my answers will reflect that fact. Honestly, if I had this truck in my shop, neither option makes sense since either would effectively total the truck. So, considering that you likely value your time, I chose expediency, hence the used engine suggestion.

Unfortunately, there is no information that I have, or that is commercially available, that will tell you or I which, if any Ford parts will work in this engine. I have my suspicions on some, but won't suggest it for fear of getting into a situation that Ford found itself in regarding Mustang head gaskets used in Focus RS's.

As was hopefully explained by the site when you signed up, dropping a rating on this session and crediting me for my time is entirely in your hands, and you're not obligated nor do I expect you to do so, since I can assure you that a detailed engine rebuild using unknown parts is WAY beyond what we can manage in this format.

Good luck with the project!

JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner
Oh for sure. I suspected that the parts wouldn't cross over on the computer but there is a website with guys verifying what they have successfully crossed and what didn't work. Unfortunately they are talking about the 4.2 jag and not the 4.4 LR variant.I work in the drilling industry where my schedule is 4 weeks at work and 2 weeks at home. My home time is mostly for family and hobbies... this being a hobby. My time is valuable in the sense of eventual success and I consider this a hobby not life or death. I can part this sucker out for much more than I paid for it if the cost investment becomes too high.I guess that's where our perspective on this differs. Its just a hobby on my spare time. Time that I have to invest where I'm trying to keep cost to a bare minimum just for shits. I definitely could do the wrecker engine but that's no fun.You got my 5 stars. If I have some questions when I get deeper into this can I still shoot em your way?

Ok, that makes a bit more sense. Projects like that can be rewarding, especially if it's on a vehicle that you're not depending on as a daily driver while it's down. It's been an interesting session, that's for sure, and glad that there's an understanding.

I will do my best to field any further questions as best as I can, and hope it all goes well!