Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

97 XK8Jag has a parking brake light on that won't out and…

97 XK8Jag has a...

97 XK8Jag has a parking brake light on that won't out and very possibly is cancelling my cruise control that has worked perfectly 'til this light problem started. have read bout a reset procedure by disconnecting the battery but would like more info before launching into it My name is ***** ***** I am not robot

Mechanic's Assistant: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?

Have not gone into fuse panels just yet would like to get the brake thing resolved first. how does one get the parking braked light to go out moving the brake handle feels like it is not connected to anything

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

1997 jag XK8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XK8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have tried nothing on my own, but have read about a reset protocol that starts with disconnecting the battery located in the trunk

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Do lights like this affect operation of other systems like the cruisrcontrol

3/13/2018
JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner

This is a pretty common issue, and I'll attach a PDF of the technical service bulletin, including repair procedure. And yes, the parking brake light circuit will interrupt cruise control operation

Please let me know if I can help further.

What about the disconnecting the battery option to turn the light off and re-enable my cruise control. I so rarely rarely ever am in a situation that dictates use of the parking brake that I can easily live without it even being operational. I really for right now want to extinguish the warning lamp and restore my cruise control, can you help with that
I really just need another mail describing the protocol to disconnect the battery, cancel the light and restore my cruise control, I cannot stop life right now to work on the vehicle.

Unfortunately, that battery trick won't work in this case, since it's likely related to the parking brake being triggered since there is no tension on the cables for some reason. You could disconnect the parking brake light switch, but you would have to get under the center console to do so. Or you could try to get under the car, and pull the cable assembly backward to try to get the brake lever to go down and close the switch.

But I can assure you that doing the battery cable trick will not work. Please don't shoot the messenger as I'm just doing my best to provide accurate information.

JagDoc
JagDoc, European Shop Owner
No problem at all, am hearing the journeyman things to try and as time permits over the weekend dive into the project. I bought the car as a hobby so will take the time to play with it. Your commentary has been useful for sure and I will work to get into the cable area. I believe the entire situation was initiated when wifey being overly cautious parking on an unevening road side intact engaged the handle. The handle is now limb and the engage button on the leading end on the handle appears to have no effect whatever on setting or releasing the brake. So a hunting we will go and hopefully out fox the fox. Thanks for your time today. And I will use this service in the future when more vital problems arise. Cheers ***** ***** close the chat for now.