Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

It is stuck in Park and will not start. Brake lights yes,

It is stuck in...

It is stuck in Park and will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

Brake lights yes, the only code that popped up when it happened was about a headbeam I have a headlight out

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

2005 Vanden Plaus

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was forwarded a video of an 03 jag where a guy manually reset the gear shift with a screwdriver I am not doing it right I guess

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When I pulled into my drive, put her into park it rolled back a little and then stopped. At that point I couldn't get her out of gear or start. That is when the code about the headlight came on

3/13/2018
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 4 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Turn the ignition on and tell me if the P is illuminated red.The R may be red or nothing at all.Let me know.
hang on
No. But I can move the gear shift a bit and the R is red

My phone number is ************

Unfortunately I am unavailable for a call at the moment but we can continue here til then.We most likely have loose shifter cable bolts. We need to jack up the driver side of the vehicle and look to see if the two 8mm bolts are holding the cable to the transmission.
I don't have any way to do this.
Ok if the cable bolts are in fact loose then you will not be able to move it manually with that lever on the side of the shifter like you were trying. We can keep trying that just in case. On the driver side is that lever that needs to be moved as you move the shifter out of park.
It is on the drivers side? Okay, do I push in or left or right?
Got it started and into reverse and neutral but it won't go into driveOkay, I was able to start her up once and into Reverse. Neutral and Drive do not highlight in red and can't get her to move forward
Ok then it does sound like the cable bolts are loose
Is that considered major repair?
Not at all. Just minimal labor and cost of the bolt if needed.
Would you recommend taking it to a Jag dealer or a reputable mechanic? This car has never been an issue until this. No repairs at all!
Any reputable mechanic should be able to do this
Richard, Jaguar Technician
thank you for all your time and experience
Jaguar Mechanic: ,  replied 4 years ago
Phone call session started
You are very welcome. Let me know if you need anything else.