Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar x-type 2006 developed oil spray after 100k service.

Customer Question
Jaguar x-type 2006 developed...

Jaguar x-type 2006 developed oil spray after 100k service. Oil spray left under bonnet on driver's side (roght hand side). Why?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

9 feb 2018

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your X-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Mechanic is but unable to resolve issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No oil spry before service. Just appeared after service.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jaguar
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/9/2018
Jaguar Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I would try to look and see what the source of the spray is from it's possible that maybe like the power steering fluid was low now that's been filled it's leaking out of the pump and being slung around or something like that.
Why power steering as not topped up? Could it be the climate control system? When airconditioning activated?
Still there?
The air conditioning system is all self-contained and doesn't have any liquid in it so I don't think it would be that, if the power steering fluid was low it's because there's a leak so you could maybe look at the shaft where it comes out of the power steering pump, behind the pulley, and see if it's wet.
Unable to detect any oil when examining the power steering shaft which is dry. The cause of the problem appears to be elusive so will need to leave it alone until Tuesday as its a long weekend here and mechanic not available. Given the unresolved situation, I am unable to rate your advice as the problem is not resolved.
No that's fully understood I don't accept you to pay me except when I haven't helped you but I do know how to fix the problem or track it down.You need to go to the auto parts store and buy a bottle of the ultraviolet leak detection fluid and add it to the fluids on the vehicle. If you can find different colors that might help but also I think you should be able to determine whether or not the fluid spray is coolant or brake fluid or gear oil at least to get a close estimate obviously gear oil and diesel engine oil are two completely different things that you could narrow down (I know you're not diesel it's just an example).Add the ultraviolet dye to the system Drive the vehicle and then use a black light in the engine bay, the source of the leak will fluoresce brightly.Please get back to me when you determine whether or not that help to you find the source of the leak