Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1999 jaguar xj8 4.0 making whining noise during acceleration…

1999 jaguar xj8 4.0...

1999 jaguar xj8 4.0 making whining noise during acceleration and when in park during revs

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

19 yrs old, but if it is in park and still making noise, doesn't seem like it could be in transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, nothing

3/7/2018
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Does it sound like it is coming from the front of the engine? Can you take a video of the noise and post it so I can see it.
sorry cannot do video
could it be alternator noise
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, this is Ron, a different expert. It sure still could be a problem with a torque converter. In my shops, we use "electronic mechani's ears" attached to areas of concern and it tells us where the noise is at.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

I appreciate your answer, thank you. However if the car is sitting still in park, can the problem still be in the transmission torque converter?

You're welcome.

Yes it can, it is still turning. I'm not saying that's it for sure, I can't hear it from here,but it is a possibility along with any of the pulleys under the hood like AC alternator etc. This is where that special tool comes in. Most parts stores loan/rent tools.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep our link in case you have any more questions.

Do you have any more questions for me at this point?

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor