Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

My 2003 XJ8 sounds the alarm about 15 minutes after I lock…

My 2003 XJ8 sounds...

My 2003 XJ8 sounds the alarm about 15 minutes after I lock it up. I've replace the trunk switch because the ODBII gave said the trunk lid was the reason for the alarm. When that didn't work I replace the Security & Central Locking Module. That still has not solved the problem. Thank you for any suggestions you are able to give me. Jim

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?

Yes, and when WD-40 didn't help I replaced the microswitch in the trunk lid latch. That didn't help either.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes - I've replace the trunk switch because the ODBII gave said the trunk lid was the reason for the alarm. When that didn't work I replace the Security & Central Locking Module.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I monitored the +12 volts to the trunk lid switch and noticed that after about 15 minutes it fell off to less than a volt. That's about the same time that the alarm goes off.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any ideas on my problem?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I asked a question 24 hours ago, and haven't heard anything back. However, the full charge has been charged to my credit card. See below:Order ID: 18583497-400
Deposit $ 5
Amount after Jaguar Mechanic responds $ 26
Total $ 31 < This has already been charged to my credit cardPlease respond.
Jim Christman
3/6/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

what was the fault code # retrieved for the trunk switch ?

what scanner are u using to scan it ? we have way more than trunk switch in the system ?

click on link to view pdf file showing system wiring circuit and parts involved here

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions

Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Chad -
Thank you for your response and especially thank you for the wiring diagram for the alarm system in my car.The scanner used was the big Jaguar dealer analysis unit, and I was only told that the result showed that the "trunk open" fault had set off the security alarm about 10 or 12 times. He did not give me a fault code number and no other fault codes were shown. . My little OBDII scanner at home shows only the usual P1111 P code.I'm doing the work myself, but I don't expect to need step by step help because I have mechanical and electrical experience, and quite a bit of equipment.Thank you again for your help.
Jim Christman
Order ID: 18583497-400

yes that obdII reading engine faults only ,can not ready the anti theft on this car

would be nice to get tat fault number ,then i can pull up a pin point troubleshoot and send it to you to narrow it down ,can you get it ?If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions

Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Chad -
I installed a new microswitch in the trunk latch and ran a new ground side wire from the switch to chassis ground due to intermittent continuity in that circuit. I measured the +12 volt supply to the trunk latch switch and noticed that the voltage falls off to below 1 volt at about 15 minutes after the car is locked. Also, the alarm often triggers at about 15 minutes after the car is locked up. This similar timing may just be a coincidence, but the 15 minute delay may indicate the source of the problem.Because the +12 volt supply to the trunk switch comes from the Security and Locking Control Module, I went ahead and replaced the module. Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem. Is there a 15 minute timer in the system that could be a cause of a problem?Thank you again for your help.
Jim Christman
Order ID: 18583497-400

We have a red / white wire and black / pink wire from that trunk switch to the Security and lock module ( Below trunk fuse box ) .looking at diagram ,do you see that ?

Power comes to switch from Pin # 5 of that security module ? that is the control

Pin #13 is common ground ( in the trunk area )

& #14 s straight in the trunk switch ) from module .

now you replaced the module , but what did you do with separate ground wire you ran ,after you installed new module, took it back to normal

which circuit is intermittent on the continuity ?

the ground wire on pin #13 or pin #14

there is no timer for 15 minutes .

was the module new ?

after 15 minutes the system is triggering because of an open trunk switch ?

is the fault that exist now after you replacing that switch ,are we sure on that ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello Chad -
I installed a new microswitch in the trunk latch. Also, because the connection was intermittent to ground, I ran a new ground side wire from the switch to chassis ground at the same physical point (front-right side of the trunk) where the 3 ground wires are anchored. This ground circuit is not affected by the new security and locking module.I measured the +12 volt supply from the module pin 5 to the trunk latch switch. The voltage was steady for about 15 minutes but then fell off to below 1 volt at about 15 minutes after the car was locked. This pattern repeated 3 times including once with the new security module in place.Because the +12 volt supply to the trunk switch comes from the Security and Locking Control Module, I went ahead and replaced the module. Unfortunately, that did not solve the false security alarm problem and I continue to have the same false alarm symptoms.Thank you again for your help.
Jim Christman
Order ID: 18583497-400

Jim , i need fault codes ,

but it does not make sense that all been replaced ,you are missing something.

i need the fault from the jaguar scan to help you further

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Chad -
I'll try to get the dealer to give me the fault codes. In the meantime I would like to silence the alarm sounds.The Body Processor Module, Pin 70 (Green-White Wire) is the horn control output to the horn system. Do you have the wiring diagram to the horn system? I'm thinking about disabling the horn system by unplugging a connector until I get this problem solved.Also, pins 22 and 23 go to the security siren (passive security sounder), which I would also like to disable by disconnecting a connector.Can I disable the horn system and security siren and still be able to lock the car?Thank you for your help and I'll try to get the fault codes at the dealer.Thank you again for your help.
Jim Christman
Order ID: 18583497-400

This is the horn wiring circuit

looks to me taking fuse Fuse #11 & # 13 in the under hood fuse box left side ,will kill speaker left and right ?

and yes pin #5 on the processor goes to switches on steering wheel

But i believe taking fuse #11 & #13 should be enough to stop the sound with out messing with Pin # 5

we do have a relay # 6 ,for horn, but i think taking it out will kill power to our processor and we do not want that

take them out and let me know

hey sorry you do understand this here wil take some back and forth ,so be patient I will work with you on it

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat