Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Same problem as the one I am reading - I have a new battery…

Customer Question
Hey Ronnie - same...

Hey Ronnie - same problem as the one I am reading - I have a new battery (2nd one actually) and a new alternator, and yet if the car is not driven for a day, the battery is dead. It starts with a jump, but it seems there is a slow drain somewhere. Seems electrical yes?

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Yes, I have had it tested, the battery is good - perfect and the alternator is running perfectly

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

2003 S-type

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I have taken it into my mechanic who works on European cars - he thinks it is electrical - and says that isn't his specialty...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it. Just trying to figure out what is the best way to diagnose the issue -- if electrical

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jaguar
1/15/2018
Jaguar Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the battery dies while the vehicle is at rest yet the battery load tests good then there is a component drawing current when it should not be. Any component which receives a direct battery feed can cause a draw. The problem could literally be dozens of things and it will require some testing to determine the cause. It could be a light coming on or staying on (such as the glovebox light), a module staying awake, an aftermarket radio or amplifier, and the alternator can fail and cause a draw.

What needs to be done is an ignition off draw test. An ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post. If the draw exceeds 40mA then there is cause for concern. At that point fuses would either be removed one at a time or voltage drop across fuses checked to see what circuit current is flowing on, and then components on that circuit can be concentrated on.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician