Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have a 2003 s-type. when i turn the key nothing happens.

Customer Question
no light come on, it...
i have a 2003 s-type. when i turn the key nothing happens. no light come on, it wont shift out of park. the parking brake is locked on. the battery is new and all the fuses are good
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jaguar
1/11/2018
Jaguar Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 4 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is it that all electrical is not working at all with this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

all electrical is inoperable. the ignition switch has power to it as well and switches power when turned

Did you replace the battery to try and resolve this issue here or was the battery replaced previously and then this issue occurred?

I got the car with the problem. It had a new battery and I tested the battery to confirm that it is good. So I don’t know if the problem happened after or before the battery was replaced.

Was the battery tested with a battery tester or just a volt meter?

A battery tester

And the cables are clean and tight at and leading from the battery as well?

I have tested for proper voltage at all the fuse boxes
To give you a little background. I am a ASE certified master tech. Have tested all the basics on this vehicle. I have never seen this problem before and it has left me clueless as to where to go next. The info I get from Mitchell isn’t helping and I am looking for possible common failures to check. Thanks

Yeah, this is a tough one for me to answer from here as well.Let me open this up for others here to see if anyone else can help further that might have more ideas on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Jaguar Mechanic: Jim, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician

Locate starter relay in the front power distribution box. With key held in the crank position, does the relay click?

If relay is clicking, remove relay and install jumper wire across terminals 3 and 5. Starter should crank engine. If not, perform voltage testing on jumper wire to see if a power supply issue is the problem.

If voltage is ok, test wiring to starter.

If relay does not click, test available voltage on fuse #1 in the primary fuse box inside car. Voltage comes from ignition switch. Repair as needed.

With starter relay removed and key held in the crank position, test voltage to terminal 1 on the relay. This is voltage from fuse #1. Repair as needed.

Verify wiring to engine control unit from relay pin 2.

If the relay is not being grounded by the engine control unit, use a scan tool to perform testing of Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) in all control units. Perform scan tool testing for gear position switches, including the J-gate and anti-theft system.
A scan tool doesn’t communicate because there is no power up of the modules. The bulb test doesn’t happen when you turn the key. The radio doesn’t power up. Nothing happens when you turn the key. But there is power at the ignition switch and it switches power when you turn the key.

did you run the test i sent?

Can you send me the location of all the fuse boxes. I found 3

There are only 3, one underhood right side, right side passenger compartment, right side in trunk.

Jim
Jim
Jim, ASE Certified Technician