Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have been admiring your car knowledge on Jaguars and have…

Customer Question
Hi, RIchard! I have been...
Hi, RIchard! I have been admiring your car knowledge on Jaguars and have been reading your posts for years! Now my question regarding the NO START, NO CRANK, P1260 alarm immobilzation security code. Two mechanics in Los Angeles gave up on it and could not fix! My 2001 Jaguar xj8 vanden plas has been dead for 3 months. First problem was, the radio and power to the windows stayed on after ignition key shut off. I would have overnight battery draining. Then the car would not start. Then a day later, it started and ran but then fuel injector #2 open circuit code came up. Car ran rough and misfiring. I changed fuel injector out but it made no difference. I yanked out all computers and replaced with used replacements of the correct original serial numbers. No start. Then I re-installed all my original computers, ECM, BPM, Key Transponder Module, and SLM in the trunk. Also replaced wiring harnesses upper and lower behind the dash. Had a new key made and programmed. All wiring looks so clean! Amazing clean car, but no start. All accessories work. I turn the key and only hear a "click" noise under dash from BPM. I can also go under hood and jump the starter relay at the false bulkhead ECU area and get the engine to crank. All fuse boxes have been tested and changed and apparently have current to all fuses. I have tried everything. It is so screwed up now that many trouble codes on everything come up on my mechanics Autologic box. But this car ran perfectly before all this happened. I screwed up so much by plugging and unplugging things, the car is SO immobilzed now. My next idea is to have a known good ECU with my correct serial number rebuilt and reprogrammed for $125. Maybe also just buy a new Crankshaft Sensor too. Can you PLEASE give me some ideas on all this? Also, the Buss fuses in trunk are excellent and the fuel pump goes on no problem when turning key on as well as I hear the Throttle body buzzing when key on. But still no crank or start! Michael G Los Angeles
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jaguar
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 4 months ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello MichaelI will try to help as best as I can from across the country.Will the shifter release from park with the ignition on and foot on the brake?Right now all the original modules have been re installed?Try doing this test and let me know the results.Lower the front windows and close all the doors hood and trunk. Lock the door using the key in the driver door. Reach in from the open window and open the driver door. The alarm should sound. Then place the key in the ignition and turn the ignition on. The alarm should stop. If not then close the driver door then lock and unlock it with the key. The alarm should stop.Let me know the answers to all these please.
Thank you Richard! To answer all your questions. YES-shifter lock releases when ignition on and foot on brake. YES CLICK!
All original modules have been re-installed. YES. YES the alarm goes off when doing the open window reach in to open door procedure, etc. All yes.
Also, all power accessories work, lights, dash lights, dash dimmer switch, seat position and steering wheel position memory settings doing their jobs, tones go off, etc. Seems normal except for the problem of when turning off the ignition key, the power to RADIO, POWER WINDOWS, POWER SEATS does NOT shut off. However the cabin lights do go on and off properly when opening and closing doors. Also NO power to sunroof and front seat heater switches. However, VALET and doorlock switches, Hazard light switch all work fine on the switch panel on dash.I want to add some information which may help you. When this Jaguar stopped running, I had just picked it up from the repair shop from the previous "NO START" Immobilzation problem. The car was running but not great. A problem remained. The car had that misfire on Cylinder #2 and I think my OBD II said: .."open circuit on number 2 injector". (passenger side bank) I changed the injector, cleared the code and the problem existed. NO CHANGE. Then I put back in the old injector and reinstalled the fuel rail. I then did two stupid things! First, I hooked up a 12v test light to the 2 wires on Injector 2 with ignition key in on position, vehicle not running at the time. I immediately shorted out and blew a main fuse in the smaller fuse box under the hood on drivers side fender. I replaced the fuse and started the car. It started up and ran, but with the same misfire. I did this stupid 12 v light test again on the injector wires #2 (on passenger side bank). Shorted out fuse again and replaced it. I also did the other stupid thing: since a bunch of fuel spurted out in the valley and down the passenger side of motor from fuel rail when I lifted it out of injectors, I then poured about a litre bottle of water to wash off fuel from motor. I am a sometimes stupid and dangerous man with my experiments, Richard! Help my mind!
Maybe water got down and shorted out Crank Sensor? Maybe water also did something funny to Anti Knock sensor on passenger side bank? However Richard, I was able to crank the motor fine, BUT, NOW, the engine would NOT turn over.I checked fuses again. All seemed fine. Then the car NEVER would crank or start again! Immobilzed again. Then, I had swapped out those fuse boxes under the hood with known working units, but NO change. NO start. Recently had a mechanic with 12 volt test light check all the fuses at boxes under hood and wiring. All seemed good. Fuses and starter relay and wiring in back seat healboard area appear to be all good as well.......
Hope you received my last posting to you? My first time as customer on Just Answer and not sure exactly if things are going through and working correctly.
While we are conversing I am going to go ahead and have a new/used ECU rebuilt, inspected and reprogrammed. It is the original Denso unit and came off a similar 2001 Vanden Plas to mine and has the same exact serial/part number as my original ECU. Place is Module Pros in Van Nuys, CA.
Matt, Engineer