Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I'm working on a 2006 x-type 3.0 the owner tells me that the…

Customer Question
I'm working on a 2006...
I'm working on a 2006 x-type 3.0 the owner tells me that the original problem started when the car was driven 10 miles and approximately 20 minutes later the fans were found to have been running at full speed enough to drain the battery (even with the ignition key out of the vehicle). Before I looked at the car the customer had replaced fan module as well as the ECT sensor and thermostat. After that was replaced the cooling fans only came on while the key was in the on position. When I diagnosed the car there was a DTC for engine cooling fan short circuit internal ECM fault. (I do not remember the DTC as it was sent in to a module repair company) The ECM was confirmed to have an electrical short in the main chip ECM was replaced. However upon return of the ECM the problem still remains, but is not exactly the same as sometimes the fans start as soon as the key is turned on and sometimes only while the engine is running. ECT temperature is normal. The white wire with a blue stripe that comes from the ECM to the fan control module tests at 12V when tested with ECM plugged in and at 0v when ECM is un plugged. I strongly suspect that the ECM is still at fault but would like a second opinion.Thanks
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jaguar
12/13/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 6 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you still seeing the same fault code with this issue here or any other codes setting?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Hi Pete when I originally reinstalled the ECM, a enhanced code reader has indicated that there is 5 permanent DTC's in it, however the code reader cannot read them. My good scan tool I'm expecting back today or tomorrow from repair until then I wont be able to read the codes. Check engine light is not on. engine data indicates the variable speed fan at at 7% while the engine is running at a cold start

Hello

When you plug in the ecm though does the fan run at full speed even though it only shows 7%?

it does sometimes when just the key is on engine off and always when the engine is running.
am I correct that the ecm grounds the circuit to the fan control module because I get 12v when the ecm is plugged in on the white/blue wire to fan control module, however when I unplug the ecm there is 0v on that wire
I know that the ecm sends a PWM signal to the fan control module but what i'm not sure of if it is a ground or power signal

O.k., the ECM does sound to be the cause here.I have run into some facilities in the past before that tried to repair the ECM but were not able to even though they had said it was repaired and I had to replace the ECM itself.The cooling fan module as well as thermostat and ECT sensor have been replaced already and since it had a code for an internal ECM short at first I suspect it still has this short.My info isn't showing me for sure what signal it sends whether it is a ground or power but it should be a ground PWM signal as most are.Make sure that wire leading from the ECM to the fan module is not shorted to any other wire or anything else.That would cause the issue you see as well as can damage the ECM.If the wire is good the ECM needs to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete