Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

The battery light is staying on. I installed a new

Customer Question
The battery light is...

The battery light is staying on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?

Yes I installed a new alternator and had batt tested. Has a full charge

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

2005 Jaguar x type

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am fixing it. Bought new alternator, had store test it to make sure voltage regulator was working. Took batt to store had them charge it fully and load test it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It’s an X type AWD.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jaguar
12/13/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 7 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

Was there a charging or battery issue when the light first came on that has now been resolved or did you not have any issues when this started to occur?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

The batt light came on.
I had batt charged and tested.....is good
I had the alternator tested with a test machine at auto zone
The voltage regulator was bad.
Installed a new alternator.
Batt light is still on.
Tested batt.....has 12 volts.
With alternator running.....still has 12 volts....should be 13 or 14?
Batt light is still on

O.k.,is this a 2.5 liter engine or 3.0 liter engine?

The engine is a 3.0 liter. AWD vehicle, sport addition, Automatic trans, AC

Check fuse 6 ( 7.5 amp ) fuse in the driver's side under hood fuse panel and make sure it is o.k. This gives the alternator and voltage regulator voltage to charge.If this fuse is blown it will cause this fault here.This fuse feeds the green/red wire at the alternator plug-in connection.If this is found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

The fuse is good, I lpulled it out and did a continuity test. Also put a different fuse in just in case.
Batt light is still on

Do you have near 12 volts at that wire on the alternator?

At alternator....output is 13.5 volts

O.k.,but you only have 12 volts at battery with the engine running but 13.5 at the alternator is this correct?

O.k., so the alternator is working properly but the power feed is not making it to the battery.The power feed goes from the alternator down to the starter large positive post then from that post to the battery.If there is a loose connection or corroded connection at the starter this will cause this fault here and the connection needs to be repaired.If there are any issues with the power feed cable leading from the alternator to the starter or from the starter to the battery this will cause this fault and the cable would need to be replaced.Bulging or internal corrosion in the cable will cause this as well as high resistance in the cable itself.Below is a diagram layout of how the charge feed wire leads from the alternator to the starter and starter to the battery so this can be checked.But the issue will be with a connection in this cable or a fault with the cable itself needing replaced.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4k1ev0ta5hct8ko/cab-12-13.svg?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Ok....so I have tightened all connections. I now have 13.5 volts at the battery.
The batt light is still on the dash.
Is this a PC problem? Or a moisture problem?

Now try disconnecting the battery for about 5 minutes then reconnect it to reset the electronics to see if it then turns off.

If it does not then you need to have the fault codes read out of the engine computer to see if any codes are set needing cleared out with a scan tool or if when cleared the code comes back needing diagnosed and repaired to resolve this fault.

But I suspect that if the light still does not go off after the battery disconnect and a test drive that the engine computer has an internal electrical fault sending a false signal causing this issue needing replaced.The old alternator may have shorted out and damaged the engine computer as I have seen occur before.

Thanks Pete

I will try those things. And reply a but later.....thanks

Your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

I disconnected the batt to let the system reset.
When I start car now, batt light is off.....and then comes on after about 5 to 10seconds.
So we are improving.

And your still seeing a charge at the battery over 12 volts with the engine running am I correct?

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?