Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2004 Jaguar XJ8 with a slow coolant leak. The thermostat…

Customer Question
2004 Jaguar XJ8 with a...
2004 Jaguar XJ8 with a slow coolant leak. The thermostat housing was leaking at the seal. I replaced the seal but the car is now pushing water out of the reservoir once the car warms up.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jaguar
12/11/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

is it overheating? did you purge the system?

It is not overheating, only driving short trips. If the coolant gets low the electric fan comes on. I have to add a little coolant every couple of few trips. When I first did the thermostat seal repair I ran the car with the interior heater on and added coolant until it didn't need any more. I drove it around the neighborhood for about 20 minutes and it was at normal operating temperature and it didn't need anymore coolant. But if I drive it much longer it starts using coolant and if I top off the overflow tank when it reaches normal running temp if it take the cap off the overflow tank it is pushing coolant out of the cap.
I don't see any bubbling in the overflow tank it is just pushing coolant out.

sounds like a head gasket...sounds like compression is being pushed into the cooling system..i would have a combustion leak test performed to verify

I was hoping the thermostat was remaining closed. I had something like this happen on a 1999 XJ8 where the car would run fine the start to overheat and blow the top radiator hose off. I replaced the thermostat and that fixed it.
Does the Bars Leaks Head gasket product work?

thats also a possibility boiling coolant will also do this...if the thermostst has not been done change it...bars leak no...blue devil usually works on small leaks