Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

There I have 2009 xf recently every time I put in rev it…

Customer Question
Hi, there I have...

Hi, there I have 2009 xf recently every time I put in rev it cuts off have to restart car what the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XF yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not tried anything yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jaguar
12/2/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Jaguar Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Do you have the check engine light on?

no
Jaguar Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Are you able to start it in neutral?

Jaguar Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Does the engine run smooth when it is running in park?

I haven't gotten a reply
Jaguar Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

I will need to ask you questions to help you determine your problem.

Jaguar Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

the engine runs fine idling
Jaguar Mechanic: Gunvir Singh,
 replied 7 months ago

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Jaguar Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 7 months ago
Matt, Engineer

hello

another expert here

if you haven't already then I'd agree to check for an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and can lean the engine out causing rough running.

As its a mechanical fault it tends not to turn on the fault light and you can sometimes hear a 'hissing' noise with the engine running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas /propaneor brake cleaner around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.
Now you might think that spraying lighter gas around a hot engine isn’t wise, however the flash /ignition point of gas is about 400°C so you need a naked flame or spark to set it off and I’ve used this method for many years without incident.
Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Air leaks are very temperature dependent as gaps can open up as things expand with temperature so depending on how the leak occurs ( on a hose joint with a clamp expansion will help seal and on a vacuum hose expansion ill make a leak worse) so leaks can be better or worse as the engine heats up.
1 vacuum leak path that you won't find with the above test is if the brake servo is leaking

so try clamping off servo hose to see if this has any effect

It’s also worth getting the fuel pressure checked as if this is low due to a blocked filter or faulty regulator or even a poorly pump will all result in insufficient fuel being delivered to the engine

Might also be worth cleaning out the idle speed control motor / valve as these get clogged up with carbon and some brake cleaner washed through helps free things off.

Might also be worth checking the wiring and connector to the airflow meter for any signs of corrosion or damage. you can do a quick fault find if you unplug the meter and run the engine without it.
if the engine condition is the same then chances are the meter or the connection to it is faulty

It’s also worth cleaning the MAF sensor wires, as they can get coated with dirt over time which then offsets the reading
Use some contact cleaner or brake cleaner to spray onto the wires to remove the dirt – on no account touch the wires with anything as they are very fragile

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt