Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

03 s model with rebuilt transmission was working fine,

Customer Question
03 s model with...

03 s model with rebuilt transmission was working fine, parked it ,came back to no shift selector response

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Original rebuilt with less than 100 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Jaguar?

S

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes ,I am . I am a mechanic and engineer. I have only recently got my hands on factory wiring diagrams. I strongly feel that it is not mechanical.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I dont think so

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Jaguar
12/1/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Gene, Auto Service Technician replied 5 years ago
Gene
Gene, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, the shifter wont come out of park? Or the shifter moves but the car wont go into any gear range?

Comes out of park with no response from any gear selectionany ideas

Ok make sure the shifter cable is broken or disconnected at the transmission. Its possible the cable popped off the transmission since it is recently rebuilt or the shifter cable itself has broken. When the vehicle is off and the parking brake is set, get under the vehicle and have an assistant move the shifter. See if the shifter moves into each gear range as it should. If the shifter doesnt move, the cable is broken, if the cable is disconnected, inspect the end and attempt to snap it back on. The shifter cable may need to be replaced. If the shifter moves llke it should, check the transmission fluid level, if it has a leak or low on fluid it can cause no engagement.

In the process of tranny R and R are there grounds that may have been poorly attached. I know one "expert" built it and a lacky installs

Yes but regardless of any electrical issues you will always have reverse gear and one forward gear to limp home.

Ok... This is an 03 zf. I am fairly sure there is no shift cableam i wrong?

From what I see it uses a shift cable. There is also a technical service bulletin with it possibly being loose and causing your issue and a no start as well.

If you need more help please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Do you need more help with this concern?

I believe that I did check that 6 months ago. I will check again. As it occurs to me there is a audible change when it is shifted into drive and reverse. It is very very slight. It does have a cable and it did match its selections. I am sorry, its been a while. I have a ton of codes. My friend at jaguar thinks they were before rebuild. One odd one one is nuetral safety switch. Others were about ratios. He thinks the new parts havent given transmission enough time to adapt.

Ok, if the transmssion was removed, I would hope the shop cleared any codes from the prior repair. If the shifter is moving but it has no gears and its full of fluid, then there is an internal transmission failure causing a loss of fluid pressure. SO I would be bringing it back tot he shop that did the rebuild on a tow truck since it wont move and have them pay for the tow and make a free repair.

Jaguar Mechanic: Gene, Auto Service Technician replied 4 years ago

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?