Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

I've got a 2003 Jaguar X type that is experiencing a rough…

Hi! I've got...

Hi! I've got a 2003 Jaguar X type that is experiencing a rough idle when starting, but only when it is cold out (i.e. below 30 degrees). On warmer days, it starts and runs fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

It is just upon start up when cold out. The engine revs to about 300 rpms, then sputters to about 500 before dying

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

The check engine light is also on with a P0332 code

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've only done a quick visual inspection for any obvious vacuum hose leaks, but definitely not a comprehensive test. I also brought it in to a shop to do some basic diagnostics (that they charged way too much for), and they just suggested replacing the knock sensor. Maybe it does need to be replaced, but I'd like to confirm that could solve the rough idle when starting in the cold problem as my understanding is knock sensors usually wouldn't cause the engine to have a rough idle, and it seems odd it only happens when cold out.

12/1/2017
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Is p0332 the only code present?

There was also C1236 (rear left wheel speed sensor fault) and C1175 (wheel speed left rear input circuit failure) which was traced to a missing reluctor ring. The mechanic said the ring couldn't be replaced on it's own and the axle shaft needed to be replaced and quoted $1,900, which also didn't seem right. It seems you could potentially replace just the ring, or at least only the outer joint, but that's probably unrelated to the rough idle :) I would also appreciate confirmation though that you can replace the ring/outer joint without replacing the axle, but that's not the primary reason for this inquiry.

The ring is not replacable without the axle but you can purchase an aftermarket rebuilt axle for 1/3 of the price from regular part store. The price you got quoted is probably for an original jaguar part.

On the starting issue, have you checked the fuel pressure?

Ah, bummer. It looks like there are some replacement rings and even outer joint assemblies out there that include the ring for sale so I was hoping this could be a solution:https://www.partsgeek.com/lr5c33c-jaguar-x-type-cv-joint-kit.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=pf&utm_content=wc&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+ShopZilla&fp=pp&utm_term=Jaguar+CV+Joint+KitI have not checked the fuel pressure yet - any ideas how to do so?
Actually, the shop says they did inspect fuel and emission systems, but not sure how comprehensive that check was.

That is a good price but you can but a rebuilt axle for a little bit more which will be already installed.

Attached is the procedure to check fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

If the fuel and vacuum system is good and no other fault codes are present then the next step is to perform a vacuum pressure check. There is a possibility of internal vacuum leak that can cause low rpm.

Ah okay, thanks for the tip! And I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, so I'll need to come back to this step at a later date or have a shop test for me. I guess at this point, I'm wondering if replacing the knock sensor has a chance of fixing the rough idle when starting in the cold problem (seems unlikely, but I could be wrong), or spend a little effort (or ask another shop) to do some more basic troubleshooting first (i.e. fuel pressure test, vacuum leak test, etc.). If you think replacing the sensor could fix the issue, then I guess it makes sense to go ahead and do that.

A faulty knock sensor is known to give rough idle and misfires. You can clear the code and see if it comes back when it runs rough.

Ok, I'll try clearing the codes in the meantime. Thanks.

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh