Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Key fob stopped working new batteries and clean. 2000 xk8.

Customer Question
Key fob stopped working...

Key fob stopped working new batteries and clean

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you double-checked to make sure the positive and negative signs are lined up correctly?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

2000 xk8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XK8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes it is the only problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks also fob used to work

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Jaguar
11/26/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 4 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you hear a second key fob to try at all and if so have you tried it to see if it works?

Let me know,thanks Pete

but i cant program it i do know how

O.k.,most likely the old key fob has failed internally as this is the most common cause I have seen and had to replace and program a new one.Since you have a new one it needs programmed and unfortunately this cannot be done manually.This requires a dealers PDU diagnostic machine to do this.Here is the note below on your year and model to program it on how it can only be programmed with this diagnostic machine unfortunately.

"The Security System RF handset transmitters can only be programmed with the Jaguar Portable Diagnostic Unit "

So you will have to have the new one programmed by a dealer or a local repair center in your area that has this tool to do this programming.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician