Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

After replacing shorted coil on #6 and coil fuse. My 2001…

Customer Question
After replacing shorted coil...

After replacing shorted coil on #6 and coil fuse. My 2001 Jag xj8 won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?

Yes, I've verified it has spark

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I've checked the injector voltage, and verified the ECM is switching them on and off. as well as the coils. I have put a hose on the fuel line pressure valve and it has fuel. don't know the pressure though. But the car was running fine just before the # 6 coil shorted.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have a short in the trunk lid that blows the fuse inside left compartment that controls the gear shifter interlock, but that has been hapening forabout a month before the car went down.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Jaguar
11/22/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 7 months ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Is the engine cranking normally but not starting?Are there any warning messages on?
no. I have cleared the DTC codes. But the monitor cycles are on
I am using a innova 3130 to see the codes and clear
Hello, I'm going back to check all cylinders for spark and injectors function.
Ok yes.Also see if the engine will start in neutral.Then have an assistant spray some carb cleaner into the air intake tube as you try to start the engine to see if it will start and run on the spray
It cranks like there's no compression
Ok. Remove all the spark plugs and squirt a few drops of oil down into the cylinders.Make sure the battery is fully charged and crank the engine while you hold your foot on the gas.
I checked cylinder 7 with compression tester. It has 60 lbs but does not hold. It hits then leaks away. How do I put a few drops of oil in the cylinders?
No help
Ok the engine should still start if only 1 cylinder was low. With the plugs removed take a cap full of oil and drop it into the plug well.
If will smoke some but this should build back compression.