Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

I have a 1997 Jaguar XK8 that cranks, but does not start. It

shows it has spark and...
I have a 1997 Jaguar XK8 that cranks, but does not start. It shows it has spark and fuel (43psi) but only cranks. It did start prior to us installing an intake on it. and now it will only crank.
11/20/2017
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you ,i will try to help you with this

did you torque to specs ? click on link to view specs

the ckp crank shaft position sensor location

The crank position sensor is mounted on the sump body. Signals are generated by the drive plate passing the sensor magnet. Engine speed and crank position are monitored by a sensor which is mounted on the cylinder block (flywheel housing) behind the crankshaft drive plate. It indicates rotational speed to the ECM in the form of 12 pulses per crank revolution. Engine speed is used for synchronization of fuel and ignition systems, as well as other functions.

are the coils firing ? do we have power on them ?

are the fuel injectors pulsing ,spray starting fluid in intake to by bass the injectors ,let see if it will start

we need fuel & spark to start ,we are missing one or both ,

we can have fuel pressure but injectors not pulsing ?

click on link to view steps for intake manifold removal and installation ,recheck you work

lets start here and we go from there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
the vehicle does have spark, and does have fuel. I notice the spark plugs are saturated with oil, from the valve covers. And I just checked the compression and it has 30-50 psi. on three cylinders. Could the chain have jumped?
it could have but I do not see by changing the intake gaskette causing that ,but yes for it to be that low indicates timing off .
It will not start if 3 cylinders has 30 to 50 psi
Take toning cover off and inspect timing marks and look for damage ,chain ,tensioner ,guides etc
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
This vehicle was driving in, the intake was installed. And now it only cranks, but does not start. The pressures are between 30-50 on all the cylinders. I am trying to find out how this could of happened?

jumped timing can this happen ,if all was good prior ,it probably was a coincidence since intake is not interfering with the timing chain

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I completely understand it could have skipped timing by coincidence. But it has two chains how could both have jumped?

which side is the low compression both sides, we have 2 banks

you can have low compression from piston rings or valves not closing ?

they have a compression/ valve check gauge you can use to check if valve issue, you will need shop air compressed in the cylinder and if air comes out exhaust then exhaust valve ,if air comes out intake will be intake valve ,if you do not want take timing cover to check will be another option for you

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat