Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have a 2007 XK. When it idles for a time say 5-10 minutes…

I have a 2007...

I have a 2007 XK. When it idles for a long time say 5-10 minutes the overheated engine light comes on. As soon as I drive away, it goes off. I suspect that the cooling fan motor is running (I can hear it) but that the fan is not turning. m I right?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

Coolant is good. Don't know how to check for a leak, but nothing on the ground when it sits.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XK yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing. I just looked under the hood to see if I could see a fan, but not sure I saw one. Should I be able to see a fan running?

11/16/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The cooling fan should be attached to and located at the front of the radiator as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rhbhmeiom9cxylr/f-11-16.gif?dl=0

Make sure the fan blade is spinning when the motor is heard to run if it is not then the fan assembly would need replaced.

If it is o.k. then with this only occuring at idle you may have debris blocking air flow in front of the radiator causing low air flow through it when the fan is on.Check and clean this as needed.

If this is o.k. you may have low coolant flow through the radiator or engine and can be due to debris.Check the coolant and if it looks contaminated then I would flush the cooling system to correct this fault.

If the thermostat is not opening as it should it can also cause this issue and the thermostat would need replaced.This is another option to over heat at idle but most likely it is the fan or air flow through the radiator causing this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician