Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I was just driving my 2012 xf 49k miles normally then the…

Customer Question
I was just driving...

I was just driving my 2012 xf 49k miles normally then the vehicle entered low power mode. Didn't hear a sound before this. So I pulled over to the side of the road to get it towed to the nearest shop. It would start up and then the rpms would drop all the way within a few seconds and the engine would stall. Some times it would stay on for 15 seconds or so but the the check engine light came on after a few more test. The shot read codes and said they aren't sure what the problem is so they are recommending a engine rebuild to see what's wrong or a replacement.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XF yourself? What have you tried so far?

This has all been done by the repair shop. So far since they saw no engine related codes they tried inspecting the fuel system to see if they saw a problem then replaced the fuel filter. Still wasn't able to come up with anything

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

For my 5.0L V8 they are quoting a rebuild at 13k which I feel is a little high, I would like to know if that's a overblown price as well. That is all

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jaguar
11/13/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 8 months ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
right now the engine starts but does not stay running?Do you have any of the stored fault code numbers?