Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

I have an issue with my Jaguar X Type 2004 - there is a

I have an issue...

I have an issue with my Jaguar X Type 2004 - there is a charging system fault after I replaced the starter motor

Mechanic's Assistant: When you turn the key, do you get a single loud click, or a series of rapid ones?

The car starts fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?

X Type

11/9/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

Do you have the 2.5 or 3.0 motor? Have you checked the charging system voltage when engine running at battery?

2.0L TDCI. Yes, the battery is running at 12.35v but doesn't seem to be draining whilst car is running

i do not have information on this engine since you are from UK. I will opt out now for another expert that has this information for you.

Matt, Engineer

Hello

another expert here

does the battery voltage increase as soon as the engine starts? as the running voltage should be greater than 12.3 v

thats a healthy stationary voltage but it should be more like 13.5v with a running engine

if not then check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

also check the condition of the small diameter wiring to the alternator for any damage or corroded connections as the alternator is switched over to charge by the ECU

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

if this is OK then I'd next test the continuity of the engine wiring loom between the ECU socket and the alternator connection

Matt, Engineer
Matt, Engineer