Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

97 Jaguar XK8. When stopped at a stoplight (slightly upgrade…

39;97 Jaguar XK8....

39;97 Jaguar XK8. When stopped at a stoplight (slightly upgrade with brake pedal depressed) the "rear bulb failure" message was displayed. When I went forward the transmission was slipping severely and the "gear box failure" message was displayed. I stopped, checked the fluid which was fine (I have a dip stick conversion). Shut engine off and looked underneath and all over and found nothing visually wrong. Started up and the trans worked properly but the "gear box failure" light stayed on. Drove approximately 40 miles home without difficulty except when pulling into my garage (2% driveway grade) the severe slippage occurred again. Parked the car for a couple of weeks. When I started it up the "gear box failure" message was gone but the "rear bulb failure" message was back (The passenger side brake light was out). Drove approximately 150 miles with no problems other than the bulb failure display. Took the car to the Scottsdale AZ Jaguar dealership. They claimed the bulb failure and the transmission difficulty would not have been related (even though they happened simultaneously). They cleaned the bulb contacts and replaced the bulb. They ran a scan and did a diagnosis on the transmission. They said the codes indicated a problem internal to the transmission. Drove home 60 miles without incident. Next day when I stopped for a light the rear bulb light came on again. When I went forward the transmission "bucked" while shifting then worked OK. A few miles later after leaving another light it "bucked" severely again. Drove home without further incident. I'm now in search of a second opinion. Is the ZF 5hp24 5 speed tranny a Ford product?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

No I haven't. I never have heard that the brake fluid level could effect the brake lights.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XK8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I believe my original message is self explanatory!

10/16/2017
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Did the dealer give you the fault code number?Was it a P1722?
Jaguar dealer service report:
No warning when car in service, but dtc stored:
P1731 - Incorrect gear ratio
P1730 - Gear control malfunction
P0706 - Transmission range selector
P0709 - Transmission mode switch
- Transmission has internal failure
_ Mode switch doesn't respond every time - Intermittent failure
- Transmission range selector doesn't select 4 gear when moving shifter from 3rd. - Possibly cable adjustment or gear selector - nore diagnosis required.
(Incidentally, the vehicle has 83,600 miles)

Any brake switch faults like P1571?

Did not see any code for brake switch fault in any of the invoices for the two bulb replacements.

I am concerned about the P1731 and P1730 which could also be a P0730 and P0731 which are usually caused by an internal mechanical failure. I recommend we have all these codes cleared and the fluid level checked to confirm it is full and not contaminated. It is a ZF 5 speed transmission so there is no dipstick. A fluid level/fill check needs to be removed with the engine running, transmission fluid warmed to 30 degrees C and the vehicle on a level surface or lift.

Richard, Jaguar Technician