Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

98 XJR, but with a 2001 engine. (1st just.... failed.) The

Customer Question
39;98 XJR, but with a...
39;98 XJR, but with a 2001 engine. (1st just.... failed.) The car sat unused for a year but now back up. I was able to clean up a bunch of sensors but It gets a misfire on cyl. 8.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: Gives it a lopey idle though it seems to smooth out by(###) ###-####revs. It also has a noisy supercharger at startup but that stops in about 10 seconds.
JA: Are you fixing your XJR yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: a 1316, 1367 code
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, i've been to a number of shops. But the best have closed. The nearest dealer is 60 miles away.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Jaguar
10/16/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: FixItMan, Master Technician replied 1 month ago
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician

Hello my name is***** you tell me if the vehicle was running fine before it was stored?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah it was, though when I first restarted it, a compression try showed 2 low cylinders. One recovered quickly, the other, not so much. Mechanics told me to get some highway time in and it would improve. It did. Last week I got Pep Boys to do a scan for me. It gave a 1367 code, misfire 8. I've changed the coil but no difference.

Thank you. The code you are getting is for an ignition circuit failure. Typically this is a coil or wiring issue. Did you clear the code after the coil replacement and then see how long it takes for the code to come back?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Multiple times. Last two times it returned in under 10 miles. Not even enough time for me to get to a highway and higher speeds.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've had the codes cleared via scanner AND by disconnecting battery for hours at a time. Same result.

If the coil is fine and the wiring going to the coil is fine them most of the time the failure is in the ignition control module

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is that module located so can have it tested?

It is internal to the engine control module.

FixItMan
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician