Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

It is not starting. I suspect ignition amp or pickup coil.

Customer Question
It is not starting ...

It is not starting

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I suspect ignition amp or pickup coil

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

Xj12 83 he

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ12 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Most of electrical the bodywork was don in the garage

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Done

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Jaguar
10/1/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

Then use a screwdriver like a stethoscope with one end placed against the body of the fuel injector while your assistant cranks the engine
The injectors should ‘click’ as they are cycled on and off
If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If you remove the filler cap to the fuel tank and listen inside while your assistant flicks the ignition you should hear it clearly
If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V.
You should be getting around 3 bar measured at the injector rail check to see if the plugs are getting wet indicating fuel is flowing – if not and the injectors are opening then there’s a problem with the pump or the filter or even the pressure regulator

Could also be incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will never add the 'cold start' extra fuel required if the car starts OK when warm then I 'd look into changing the sensor.