Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I replaced the front 2 air struts on a 2004 xj8 and it went…

Customer Question
Hi, I replaced the...

Hi, I replaced the front 2 air struts on a 2004 xj8 and it went into CATS system fault. Had the codes read and it said code C2304 damper supply short circuit to ground. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

No fluid, but the ride is rough in CATS fault mode!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. I replaced the air struts and it happened the first time I turned the ignition on afterwards.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats all I can think of at the moment... Thanks!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Jaguar
9/26/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 8 months ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
If you have the old struts try plugging both of them in and then disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes. Reconnect it and start the engine to see if the warning comes on. Visually inspect both new struts as sometimes the small pins bend and break.Let me know.
Already tried switching the solenoids from the old ones... Also confirmed the pins were still straight. When I started the car for the first time after the replacement, the car went from being as low as it can get to all the way up in 2 seconds... as soon as the CATS system warning appeared on the dash. The battery in the car did read a bit low if that is useful...
Do you have a digital multimeter we can use to.perform some tests? I also would recommend we re charge that battery as low voltage can always be the cause.
I do... I will try that but can't do it until later this afternoon when I'm off work. I will either charge or maybe change the battery then.
BTW.. I have read several of your answers in the past that have been helpful. Appreciate your help!