Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

How do I know if my 2004 x-type needs a beattery or

Customer Question
Hey Richard, how do...

Hey Richard, how do I know if my 2004 x-type needs a beattery or alternator

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Jaguar X-Type. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

My battery wont hold a charge

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Jaguar
9/19/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. Welcome to chat! My name is ***** ***** I am currently a factory dealer auto mechanic. I will attempt to assist you with your concern today.

The correct way to test this is using a voltmeter to check the battery's voltage when the car is running. Do you have a voltmeter?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Click here for an example of how to rate . Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.

Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

I jumped it it got 13 volts but it slowly goes down. My brother said it was alternator cause while it was running he loosened up battery terminal and it stalled. What you think?

The voltage should be about 13.9-14.2 volts consistantly. It does sound like you have a failing alternator. Just to be sure you always could charge the battery and have a load test done on it.

Also depending on how long the battery has been getting a weak charge, it may not work to its full potential anymore.

What can cause the car to randomly get hot and then go right back down to regular temp? I've had thermostat replaced, new hoses put on etc. But its still doing it. It'll get hot as I am sitting idol then when I go it'll go back down. Its happens randomly.

A cooling fan not working correctly can cause that. Once you get moving the air flow increases and the engine cools down.

Hi. Just checking in to see how you are doing and if you have made progress or need more info. If so just respond back. Otherwise please take a quick moment to rate my assistance. Thank you.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.