Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Replace my fuel pump in my 2004 jaq s type but it still wont…

Customer Question
Replace my fuel pump...

Replace my fuel pump in my 2004 jaq s type but it still wont start - I sprayed starting fuel and it sarts for a moment then dies

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

I just replaced it this morning

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model of your car?

2004 Jaquar s type v6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S-type V6 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes - replace the electronic fuel pump

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Jaguar
9/18/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

I'd next check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.
Then use a screwdriver like a stethoscope with one end placed against the body of the fuel injector while your assistant cranks the engine
The injectors should ‘click’ as they are cycled on and off

If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

Ok I will not n the morning and just so you know I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and it started for about 10 secounds

hello

the starting fluid test is a good one as it shows there must be spark and either the issue is with fuel supply ( no pressure) or the injectors aren't being opened

its more likely that the issue is with a lack of fuel though so I'd say its well worth measuring for fuel pressure at the injector rail as this will confirm if the new pump is running properly or not

this blog post shows how it can be measured

http://www.jagrepair.com/FuelPressureTestingS-Type_sl.htm

Got it working now I'm replacing the coolant reserve tank and don't know how to get the bottom hose of the old one - any tips

Hello

you may find a pair of these remote hose clip pliers is the tool you need

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/flexible-long-reach-hose-clamp-pliers/?da=1&TC=GS-040816201&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4aPrrdK21gIVTc-yCh10sQHVEAQYASABEgKojPD_BwE

Replaced the coolant reserve tank and replace all the clamp because they suck, changed with the one with tension screw. I'm gonna replace the fuel pump and crank position sensor next just because it has 73k miles on it. What other problems can I expect with this year and model? Thanks fir your help
Jaguar Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 10 months ago

Hello

a few things to check are:

Water leaks into boot compartment play havoc with electrics (because that's where the battery sits) as rear lamp seals and boot lid seal can fail. The seal needs to be cemented into place with waterproof silicone sealant. Boot lock solenoid also subject to failure due to moisture ingress.

Have been problems with Mondeo based electric window winding mechanisms. Typical failures on early cars include ignition coils, water leaks, seat motor, window motor, door lock and security alarm faults. Check all electrics as best you can before buying (particularly important with auction bought cars.)

Original 5-speed autoboxes prone to failure at around 60,000 miles.

Any alarm problems may be due to a faulty 'boot open' switch. Misplaced sealing ring allows damp to corrode the switch contacts. Cleaning the contacts solves the problem.