Richard, Jaguar Technician
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
10437779

I have a 97 Jaguar XK8 and it starts fine and engine sounds

Customer Question

I have a 97 Jaguar XK8 and it starts fine and engine sounds smooth but then dies. I've had it torn of on me on the freeway saying engine failed or stability failure and transmission failure. Mechanic said one of the codes was due to bad airflow. Didn't give me much detail but he said it was going to be expensive. A lot of this started happening after the car overheated. Could it be due to a bad head gasket because of the overheating? I read that these cars throttle bodies go out around 65k miles and the car is about that right now.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.
When you say the engine dies does it completely turn off and you have to restart it or does it stay running but you have no throttle response?Do you have the actual code number?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It completely dies. Sometimes it causes the transmission to kick hard if running.Mechanic didn't give me codes.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Ok it does sound like we may have a problem with the throttle causing the issue. We need to check the connections there as well as see if the throttle bore or blade is dirty.

You can try using a generic OBD II compatible scan tool to see if we can read the stored fault codes which would help in pinpointing the possible causes.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Will the overheating cause an issue with the intake system? Is it possible water got into the motor and causing it to die. Although it does start really smooth.Will this sensor work?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_C0GTzb5WA2DE0Or this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G5EA74I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_x6GTzb6N86NZN