Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

I hope you can help me with a parking brake fault on my "05

Hello Richard, I hope you...
Hello Richard, I hope you can help me with a parking brake fault on my "05 s-type 3.0L. I was driving on a interstate when all of a sudden the dash lit-up like a Christmas tree and the DSC warning and parking brake fault appeared and no power from the engine. I shut the car down and re-started it and everything went back to normal. However, the same thing occurred frequently. A very dangerous occurance on a super highway. I then replaced the rear brake pads and noticed on the rt. rear wheel the inside pad was worn down to about 1/16 on an inch while all the other pads had plenty of life left on them, nearly 3/8 of an inch and were all pretty evenly worn. I replaced these pad approx. 6 years ago with "lifetime" ceramic pads to eliminate the brake dust. I replaced all the rear pads and the vehicle ran fine for a few days The vehicle is in exceptionally good condition and has 88K miles on it. Now after yesterdays event, I went through the brake re-calibration process which I did not do after just replacing the rear pads. I have not driven the vehicle yet today but I did move it last night after the re-calibration and all seemed normal.
8/17/2017
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

With these warning lights coming on this indicates that the abs or another computer in your vehicle has detected a fault with one or more components on the vehicle.What has to be done to locate what is acting up is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a fully compatible scan tool or computer that can plug into your vehicle and that can read all computers in your vehicle.There will be at least one code set that will then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue.I have seen issues with a failing wheel speed sensor cause this fault as well as steering angle sensor but there are several sensors and components that can act up and causes this fault so the codes do need read out to help identify the cause.

As for the brake pad wear issue this is usually caused by the brake caliper hanging up and not releasing fully for the side that had the uneven brake wear.I have seen this several times before and had to replace the affected brake caliper.

If the issue continues now after you had done the re calibration then you will need to have the codes checked.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Well Pete,I did notice that when this event occurred , the parking brake was engaged. I could sense that the way the vehicle came to an abrupt stop. But when I restarted the engine, everything went back to normal with no fault codes or dash lights. Now I'm going to drive it today for about a 10mi. trip after resetting the re-calibration process. I might add that this event occurred while stopped at a traffic light also yesterday. I was checking on line about a recall that Jaguar had regarding this very issue with this model Jaguar. With regard to the caliper, I would think that both of the pads on that caliper would be worn and not just the pad that is in contact with the piston, but I may be wrong in that assumption.

It is usually the pad in contact with the piston that wears faster with a faulty caliper.You would think both inner and outer pads would wear the same but it is always the pad in contact with the piston that wears uneven with a sticking caliper.

Below is the calibration procedure for the electronic park brake.

S-TYPE

S206-04

DATE: 08/05

MODEL:
2003 MY-ON
S-TYPE

VIN:
M44998-ON

Electronic Park Brake (EPB) - Re-Calibration Procedure

Issue:

On some 2003 MY-on S-TYPE vehicles, a customer may report a concern of premature parking brake pad wear or the brakes binding. This condition can result if the electronic park brake (EPB) system is not re-calibrated after the removal of the rear brake calipers to replace the brake pads.

Action:

Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the calibration procedure detailed in this bulletin.

1. Reset the EPB module:

a. Switch off the ignition.

b. Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds. For additional information, refer to S-TYPE Workshop Manual Section 414-01.

c. Reconnect the battery.

2. Start the engine.

3. Firmly apply and release the footbrake five times.

4. Confirm that the message "NOT CALIBRATED" or "APPLY FOOT AND PARK BRAKE" is displayed on the instrument cluster message center. This indicates that the parking brake is in calibration mode.

5. Lightly press the footbrake pedal.

6. Apply the parking brake by using the EPB switch.

7. Release the parking brake.

8. Release the footbrake.

9. Confirm that the brake warning lamp is no longer illuminated on the instrument pack and that the "NOT CALIBRATED" message is no longer displayed in the message center.

10. Apply and release the EPB five times to ensure no error is present.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
The bulletin procedure is just slightly different than the procedure I did last night. I will follow the instructions you sent just to make sure all the bases are covered. Thank you, Ron

Your welcome

If the fault does continue then you want to have the codes checked.

Pete I drove the Jaguar after following the brake calibration procedure that you sent me. The brake pedal had a different feel to it ie. more sensitive and more braking pedal than before the procedure was performed. There were no warning lights or messages on the dash. I hope this is the end of this nightmare!!!!!!!!!!Thank you for your help, I will keep you posted,
Ron gallite
I hope this does the trick.If not come back here and let me know
Well Pete,the jaguar acted-up three times on a short drive on Sat., after which , the check engine light stayed on. I checked the code with my reader and it came up with a P2135 . So I cleaned the sensor in the intake and cleaned the throttle body as best I could with the same cleaner and found an oiley, black residue inside the throttle body. I am using a K&N air filter and am wondering if this could have contributed to that residue. Anyway, the car is at a repair center that has the proper diagnostic machine to read all the computers in the car. I did read online that that 2135 code may require a new throttle body,but before I do that,I want to be sure that is the problem. Also I don't see how a malfunctioning throttle body would have anything to do with the parking brake fault . Thank you, Ron

The K&N air filters are oiled when they are cleaned.This oil can make its way into the throttle body and onto sensors.It is advised not to use these air filters.They are great for air flow but can cause issues.And if they are used it is advised when they are fully cleaned and oiled to allow the oil to drain off the filter and use a rag to wipe any excess off.

It is also very possible the throttle body needs replaced as this was a common fault.It can cause electrical issues causing the brake fault you see as well.

If cleaning it did not work and the code and issue returns then the throttle body most likely needs replaced unfortunately.

Thanks Pete

If the throttle body needs replaced what does it cost?
Thank you, Ron
I just happened to think; I forgot to mention that my gas mileage has gone from 22mpg to approx. 16mpg, a significant drop.
Thanks, Ron

I show a cost of $299 and right under an hours labor to have it replaced.If it is acting up it will need replaced.

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician