Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I am getting a very brief rattle when cold starting. 1-2…

I am getting a very...
I am getting a very brief rattle when cold starting. 1-2 seconds. Car runs fine otherwise. No rough idling or other noises. Sounds like the VVT. My mechanic says to just monitor it for now, and unless it gets louder or lasts longer, then it will be ok. Is this good advice? If the car runs great otherwise, can I get by for a while before getting this repair done? Thanks
8/16/2017
TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** many miles are on this?

Hi Tim. Only 55K

was the oil real dirty before changing it?

My mechanic didn't say. It was just changed yesterday to Castrol 5W 30

if it was dirty, it may have not been changed in awhile, and the system has some sludge in it, I would drive it for a few days and see if the rattle goes away, if it does not, then it is possible the timing chain guide is worn and causing the rattle, the timing belt tensioner runs off of oil pressure, and if the guide is worn, it will not have tension for a few seconds after start up, and cause this rattle,Tim

If it doesn't clear in a few days, then I am looking at a major timing chain replacement?!?

most likely, but with only 55k miles, it is most likely sludge, you may want to try an engine flush first, if it does not clear up on its own,Tim

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks Tim

TIM MOHR
TIM MOHR, ASE Certified Technician
Ok, Tim. Let's hope it's a little sludge, and not a major repair. I know he added Petron Oil treatment when he did the change. Thanks
No problem

Anytime my friend, good luck with this,Tim