Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

Cooling fan not working, 06 S-type, 3.0, The fan is out, ran

Cooling fan not working JA: What...
Cooling fan not working
JA: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?
Customer: 06 S-type, 3.0
JA: Are you fixing your S-Type yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The fan is out, ran 12v. to the thicker gauge wires and. Nothing
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Ran 12 volts direct and nada
I have removed the fan. it has two large gauge wires, green/ white and a black and it also has two smaller gauge blue/ white and a green. How should I test it? Thx
8/15/2017
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Sounds like the fan itself could be the problem. The fan control module is part of the fan assembly.When testing the fan you need to supply power and ground.
White/green and brown/green shou is have power.
Black is ground and the white/blue is signal from the ECM.
I should ground the black and power which wire?
Well that is the module. Follow the wires up to the fan motor and see if we have power and ground.
I have the fan out of the car.
What color are the wires on the fan motor?
2 large gauge - green//white and bk, two smaller gauge-blue/white and green
unfortunately the fan and module is that one assembly so jumping power will not power it up. We would need to supply power, ground and a pulse to see if the fan operates. It wou is be easier to test this at the fan connector on the vehicle. If all powers and gro funds are there then the fan needs to be replaced.
Ok. I will be at the car tomorrow about 9:30 am MST. Should I put the fan back in the car or leave it out and call you if you're avabale to run the test?
Either. Which ever is easier to access the wiring. I will post a test.
Sounds good. Thx
Hi Richard, just about ready to run the test. Tom
Did you post thr test? I don't see it.
Ok. Unfortunately I am unavailable for a call at the moment but we can continue here til then.
Go to the fan and confirm power to the heavy gauge black/green and the small white/green.
Ok
White/green is power with key on.
Make sure the heavy black wire is ground.
Ok. Fan is out so I'll go to the plug
The white/blue is signal so we need a scope or Jag tool for that. We can hook a digital multimeter to see what the voltage reads with the key on, then engine running then with a/c on to confirm a change.
The fan has been removed so we can't start the car
I have 12v at the plug.
12 on both those wires and the black is ground?
The only other wire to check is that pulsed signal from the ECM
That can only be done on demand with the vehicle on
Ok I have 12v to both plugs.+
What color is the pulse wire?
White/blue
Ok, I'm hooking up the hoses enough to run the engine to run pulse test.
Ok, I have the engine ready to run but have not yet plugged in fan motor. How should I test pulse?
Okay so the big plug has constant 12v with power on and off. The small plug has no voltage to white/blue with or without power. White/green on the small plug reads residual with power off, 12v with ignition on, and jumps to 14 when AC is turned on. The white/green wire on the plug on the car corresponds to a green/blue wire on the fan plug.
One lead on battery voltage and the ground lead of ypour meter to that wjite/blue
Positive lead of your meter to battery voltage and the ground lead of your meter to the white/blue
Ok, I'm not able to run the w/b wire test right now, I'll get back w you later with results. Thx
Hi Richard, Hav'nt had the opportunity to run that test yet. I will keep you posted. Thx
I'm very satisfied so far. If I rate now will doing so close out the mater?

No the post will stay open if you rate a response.

Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hi Richard, Sorry for the delay, I had a total hip replacement 20 days ago moving slow and cannot get underneath the car right now and have to rely on my busy son who does not live with me for help. At any rate, finally ran the white/blue pulse test and it has 12v with key on, 12v with engine on and 15.8v with A/C on. No need to answer me today as I respect your day off. Thanks and enjoy your day. Tom
Hi Richard, Ran the pulse test as noted above and I assume by the results that it is indeed a bad fan motor. Do you agree? I wanted to be sure before I purchase a $500 fan. Thank you.
Richard, Jaguar Technician