Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

I have a 2006 XJ8. The air suspension light comes on

Customer Question
I have a 2006...

I have a 2006 XJ8. The air suspension light comes on inconsistently and when the front of the car sits low. The alert will disappear and car will ride fine for an hour or so, then the fault light will reappear and front will drop. How can I remady the problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Tried nothing at this point

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jaguar
8/7/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 6 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When this light comes on this indicates the air suspension computer has detected a fault with one of the components it controls or monitors.What has to be done is to have the fault codes checked in the suspension computer using a scan tool that will plug in and can communicate with all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Then the code that comes up will have to be then diagnosed to pinpoint the component at fault then that component if repairable would need repaired or if non repairable would need replaced.

The most common cause for this issue is a front air shock/strut leaking needing replaced.

I would have this checked into and repaired as soon as you can to prevent any damage to other air suspension components.A leaking air shock/strut or faulty control valve can cause the compressor to run to much which can burn it out over time.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I don't trust the Jaguar service centers in my area and would like to try some things on my own possibly eliminating the problem. Could it be corrosion, a relay sensor or something simple?

Unfortunately without knowing what codes are set and using a compatible scan tool to monitor sensor signals this can be difficult to pinpoint.The most common fault was a leaking shock.Take a bottle of soapy water and spray around the front air shocks when the level of the vehicle is level or raised and look for any leaks.Usually the soap bubbles will move around rapidly or pop if there is a leak.If you find a leaking air shock/strut it will need replaced.

Here is a diagnostic check you can also do for symptoms to see if you can see any other issues.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkq6j89webkgs66/a-08-07.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhh84rm0zjfxcao/ai-08-07.gif?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician