Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Looking at a 98 XK8. Fault code is "Gear Box" owner says it…

Customer Question
Looking at a 98...

Looking at a 98 XK8. Fault code is "Gear Box" owner says it drives in "limp mode" probably means not shifting out of low. some fluid leakage. asking price $3200. Having owned several MGs and Triumphs I should have my head examined for considering and XK8 with tranny problems, but for 32K I could part it out and make money it I couldn't get it fixed reasonably.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Original, owner reports some leakage. He was quoted $300 to flush and refill with new fluid.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XK8 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not purchased the car yet

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jaguar
8/2/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 1 year ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
This is most likely an internal mechanical failure specifically the forward clutch drum. This is the weak spot of these transmissions. It is probably more than just a fluid issue.
You can see how much a qualified transmission shop would charge worst case.