Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 liter. Error codes P1646 and P0447. I

Customer Question

2005 Jaguar X-type 3.0 liter. Error codes P1646 and P0447. I had code P1647 and changed the front bank 2 upflow and that was fine for a day then got the other code. Maybe that's why you should replace in pairs! Hopefully not an ECU and just coincidence. I also have a P0447 code evaporative system leak which was directed to the purge valve located at the firewall. Replaced that and still get same code. Additional research shows it is now likely the Carbon canister vapor solenoid. Does anyone know of the location of the canister?
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. the canister is on top side part of the fuel tank

hows it going?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
David, Finally got the parts and installed. Ordered original Jaguar parts. Replaced the before cat O2 sensor near the firewall and replaced the vent solenoid near the gas tank (a little cramped on my back on the driveway!), cleared codes and the O2 code is gone, the P1000 code appeared which is related to clearing the codes and still have the P0447 code. Arrrggg. Where do I look next?

standby please

ok, being the the vent solenoid is still failing, then the wiring to the vent control valve/solenolid needs to be checked. you need to make sure there is a good ground a power at the connector.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I assume you are stating to check ground at the connector of the solenoid. Do you know what voltage the other pin should be? I understand there is a resistive range of the valve too. I can check that as well.

you should have 12vdc at the valve when commanded to open.

this is where it gets tricky because without a scan tool to command it to open theres really nothing you can do to control it. your best bet might be to have a smoke test done to make sure the evap system doesnt have a leak to the hoses for the vent valve

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did check the hoses and they looked good, no cracking or swelled. With that code I understand that it is an open circuit, at least that what's my scan tool shows (Evaporative Emission System Vent Control Circuit Open). I'll check wiring and let you know. Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay checked the connector. Green wire has 12v and it looks like it cycles. The orange wire has 10 Mohm to ground.

thats not a good ground

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you know where the ground point connector is? I tried to trace the wire but runs up over some sheilding. I guess I could try and run a new ground. But here is the question...if you get 12V to one pin and ground to the other pin, how does the ecu know what the valve is doing?

the ecm controls the valve based on pressure readings forn the fuel tank pressure sensor

P0447 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit Open Possible causes Faulty canister vent control valve Purge Control Valve harness is open or shorted Purge Control Valve electrical circuit poor connection Before replacing any parts, check for damage EVAP canister and for loose hoses from the vent control valve to the canister. An improper voltage signal is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM) through Evaporative Emission System (EVAP) canister vent control valve. Possible symptoms Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) P0447 Description The Evaporative Emission System (EVAP) canister vent control valve is located on the EVAP canister and is used to seal the canister vent. This solenoid (the EVAP canister vent control valve) responds to signals from the Engine Control Module (ECM). When the ECM sends an ON signal, the coil in the solenoid valve is energized. A plunger will then move to seal the canister vent. The ability to seal the vent is necessary for the on board diagnosis of other evaporative emission control system components.This solenoid valve is used only for diagnosis, and usually remains opened. When the vent is closed, under normal purge conditions, the evaporative emission control system is depressurized and allows EVAP Control System (Small Leak) diagnosis.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I understand that it does the control, but the error code lists an open circuit error. So just related to the wiring? and not some hose leak? So you suggest to run a good ground to the orange wire and see if that clears code?

yes. its an open circuit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sort of freaks me out because of our american wire color standards. Green or black usually ground, orange red usually power. I did old solenoid and it had continuity across the terminals so it's probably bad ground or ECM I suppose.

lets hope its not the ecm.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay connected a good ground to the orange wire and cleared codes. Still get pending P0447. Shit. Here is a link the Jag forums sent me:
JaguarForums
Dear Customer,USarmor has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Freakin P0447 code - in the X-Type ( X400 ) forum of Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum.This thread is located at:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187385&goto=newpostHere is the message that has just been posted:
***************
Customer,Here is the Pin Point Test from the Workshop Manual . . . . Maybe this will help you.PINPOINT TEST G : P0447. CANISTER CLOSE VALVE CIRCUIT OPEN CIRCUIT
TEST
CONDITIONS
DETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS
G1: CHECK SUPPLY VOLTAGE TO CCV
Disconnect canister close valve electrical connector, FT5.
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
Measure the voltage at FT5, pin 1 (GU).
Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?
Yes
GO to G2.
No
REPAIR the circuit between FT5, pin 1 (GU) and the EMS control relay. For additional information, refer to wiring
diagrams. CLEAR the DTC. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Leave switched on for minimum 30 seconds.
RECHECK DTCs. For additional information, see "diagnostic drive cycles" above.
G2: CHECK THE CCV SIGNAL WIRE FOR CONTINUITY.
Disconnect the ECM electrical connector, EN16.
Measure the resistance between EN16, pin 67 (O) and FT5, pin 2 (O).
Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes
GO to G4.
No
REPAIR the circuit between EN16, pin 67 (O) and FT5, pin 2 (O). For additional information, refer to wiring diagrams.
CLEAR the DTC. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Leave switched on for minimum 30 seconds. RECHECK
DTCs. For additional information, see "diagnostic drive cycles" above.
G3: CHECK THE CCV SIGNAL WIRE FOR SHORT TO BATTERY
CHECK for a voltage at FT5, pin 2 (O).
Is the voltage greater than 1 volt?
Yes
REPAIR the short to battery. For additional information, refer to wiring diagrams. CLEAR the DTC. Turn the ignition
switch to the ON position. Leave switched on for minimum 30 seconds. RECHECK DTCs. For additional information, see
"diagnostic drive cycles" above.
No
GO to G4.
G4: CHECK THE CCV RESISTANCE
CHECK the resistance between pins 1 and 2 of the CCV.
Is the resistance 25 to 30 Ohms at 20°C (68°F)?
Yes
INSTALL a new ECM. REFER to Section 303-14A Electronic Engine Controls / 303-14B Electronic Engine Controls.
Before replacing a ECM, contact Dealer technical support.
No
INSTALL a new CCV. CLEAR the DTC. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position. Leave switched on for minimum 30
seconds. RECHECK DTCs. For additional information, see "diagnostic drive cycles" above.

ok. that should get you pointed in the right direction then