Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

I have a V6 X350, 2003 SE model. I have had problems with…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a V6 X350, 2003 SE model. I have had problems with the air suspension for around 2 years. Every now and again I have a go at it. It all started with the rear offside ride height sensor breaking off its mount. Since then I had had one problem after another. Up to now I have replaced the ride height sensor, the compresssor, the strut on the rear offf side. I always get an air suspension fault on the display a.fter travelling for around 3 miles. Today I ha.ve replaced the air tank and solenoid unit. Obviously the suspension is now at it's lowest point. When I run the engine, the compressor starts but the car does not rise. The compressor cuts out after a while, I believe it does this anyway to prevent damage. I have a red warning light that says the car is too low and I have an orange light that says air suspension fault. Ii

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

There is no fluid under the car. The ride has been ok for 3 miles or so then I get the air suspension fault message and the ride is hard. I have disconnected the control unit for 1 hour today to attempt a reset. This has had no effect. Tha

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '03 Jaguar?

X350 sovereign se V6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

New compresssor, new ride height sensor rear offside, new strut rear offside, new tank and new solenoid. Ian doing this myself.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Jaguar
7/29/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 6 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes read out/checked with a fully compatible scan tool that can read all computers to see what codes are set with this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Hi Pete, I am also Pete. I have not read the codes today. I will go and do this now and let you know. Thank you

Hi Pete

If you can get the codes read out of the suspension computer this will help quite a bit.Post back here when your ready I will be here most of the day.

Thanks Pete

Odb reader does not help. I have a friend who can get the correct code reader but I'm not sure how long it will be before he can bring it to me. I may not be able to continue this conversation until tomorrow.

No problem.

If you can get the codes read out of the suspension computer this will help just let me know.I will be here tomorrow and all week long.If you do reply and I do not reply back right away I may be away for a bit but I will reply back here when I can.

Thanks Pete

OK, so I expected the code to be a C2302 and I was correct, it is a C2302. I have to presume that I have had this fault for all the time I have had trouble with the suspension. Before I replaced the reservoir and the solenoid unit, there was no loss of pressure. This leads me to believe there are no leaks at the struts. I have put in another line from the compressor to the solenoid unit as a test, I still get the same result and when I disconnect the airline is under pressure. I have swopped the R1 relay with another in the fuse box, still no change. The live data shows all the solenoids as closed, each strut is showing as -77, which I presume is pressure and another number, 15, but I can't remember what this is for. The only thing I have not changed is the suspension ecu.

I did some research on this code here and on some models if the battery sits near the suspension reservoir and lines it can leak and cause damage to some of these components.If your battery is in the trunk check the area around it for any issues.If this is or was checked already and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I have already checked this. The battery is 100% with no corrosion, I have replaced all the parts in the trunk anyhow so this cannot be the cause.

The code that is set here is for a leak.If the reservoir and lines are o.k. and if your compressor is making good pressure this can be a slow leak in a shock.I have seen some shocks when checked show o.k. with no leaks but then I had removed some and submerged them in water to find there was a small leak and the affected shock needs replaced.

Usually when the vehicle lowers down like this and the compressor runs this can indicate a leak needing located and repaired.If you know for sure that there are no leaks at all with everything that has been checked and replaced already this can be a fault with the air suspension ecu.It may be controlling a valve to be open or the exhaust valve to open causing pressure loss when it shouldnt be.

It is hard to say for sure from here if this is the cause as this cause is usually a leak but if you know for sure the compressor is making good pressure and there are no leaks the ecu can be at fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

I'm going to wrap all the connections with teflon tape to make sure there are airtight. I am going on vacation on Friday so I cannot order a replacement ecu until I return. I may need to respond again at the end of the month. Do you have any advice on finding leaks from a shock - the most common place they leak for example?

Usually the most common area for the leak is at the air line connection or the rubber section that airs up near the top.The best way to find a leak of course is to remove them and submerge them in a tank of water while manually aired up with compressed air and looking for air bubbles indicating a leak.But to try and locate a leak on the vehicle use a bottle of soapy water and spray it around the shocks and look for any bubbles rapidly moving around or blowing up and popping as this indicates a leak.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate if you like when your ready and still respond as much as needed anytime.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician