Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Mster Certified Tech
Experience:  Automotive instructor at Porter and Chester institute
14457476

2004 JAG XJ8 120000 MILES .... CAR WILL SHIFT FINE FOR THE

Customer Question

2004 JAG XJ8 120000 MILES .... CAR WILL SHIFT FINE FOR THE MOST PART .... THEN WILL MAKE SHORT WHINING SOUND DURING DOWNSHIFT FROM OVERDRIVE OR HIGHER GEARS AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS (OVER 50) ... GEARBOX FAULT LIGHT COMES ON STAYS IN ONE GEAR .... ONCE I TURN CAR OFF AND RESTART WILL OPERATE FINE FOR A SHORT TIME THE REPEAT ABOVE ISSUE
JA: Does the light flash or stay on steady? Do you happen to have the trouble code?
Customer: STAYS ON ... THE ONLY CODE IS P1000
JA: Are you fixing your XJ8 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: REPLACE FILTER AND FLUID ... SHOP SAID HE ALSO DOWNLOADED MOST RECENT TRANSMISSION UPDATE INTO COMPUTER ... NO DIFFERENCE
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Ricardo Hohl replied 3 months ago.

Hi welcome to just answers my name is***** does not relate with the problem you have on the transmission this code is related to a misfire from the engine. If the gear light goes on and you hear a whining sound is because the transmission fluid is restricted to flow overheating and causing high pressure, this can be caused by a clogged transmission cooler, a restricted transmission line do to bent or clogged, or a problem with the valve body bypass valve .

You need to have a system volume flow test and a pressure test to identify where the restriction is at.