Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1996 jaguar xj6: Transmission takes to shift out of 1st

Customer Question
1996 jaguar xj6: Transmission takes...
1996 jaguar xj6: Transmission takes long to shift out of 1st gear. Sounds like if I had an manual transmission waiting on me to shift gears. Anyway, once it do shifts out of 1st gear, everything is fine! I can drive the car a top speed and shifts out other gears with no problem. What could this be? Solenoid valve??
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Jaguar
7/8/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution.

So were you able to pull any codes for this?

No codes...I also change the filter. No results. I was thinking maybe its one them solenoid on the valve body

Sounds good let me do some digging around and I shall be back shortly with some answers

So first thing I see is that you might have a ground problem with 1-2 on the solenoid, there are also 2 other clutches that are engaged for 1st to work going to 2nd , this may take a little bit to get you some diagnosis going, I didnt forget about you

The TCM could be telling it to shift late as well, it commands with the ground though so that could be the issuse as well, the vehicle is so old it also could be in the connector,

OK..I will check the ground & connectors. Plus Keep you posted. I'm in the east coast, so our timing may be different

im east coast too, just a work o holic lol

make sure when you do pin connector analysis to use a magnifying glass and a test male and female pin to feel resistance between pins, the female pins are usually the ones that are worn

OK.....harness seems to be OK. Let me explain a little more. I own 3 jaguars now. One 95 & two 96. But Car was working fine until I got it back from my niece. It only has 158k. I know she said she was using the sport mode often. Anyways, after checking harness, I drove it like a normal elder person would do. And it switched gears normal. So when I got on some back roads I flowed it to see how it would do. Once out of 1st gear, it gives it a little kick. Then when it was about to catch 2nd, the engine rev up as if its trying to find second. But I tried it numerous times this morning, and it does not do it all the time. If I'm driving like an elderly person, it switches fine

This could be as simple as some debris in a check valve or solenoid plunger, have you tried adding lucas to the system to see if that helps?

Im going to have to do some research on that ill get back with you shortly

Since I do have 4 jaguars X300, I'm going to use two for parts. Anyways, one of my jags got key fob with missing battery back so therefor I can't determine which key fob I have. But since I'm going to be using car for parts, what all security modules do I need to take out to swap so I can use key fob to make it work on my other jag thats running well with no key fob
BINGO SHAWN!! IT WAS THE TCM!! IM GLAD YOU FIGURED AT FIRST THAT IT WAS ELECTRICAL. I HAVE A 1996 JAGUAR XJ6 DATE 11/1995...ALSO A 1995 DATE 3/95...A 1996 VANDEN PLAS DATE 3/1996....MY TCM PART NUMBER OFF 1995 IS LHE2400AE/004..THE VANDEN PLAS IS LHE2400AH...THE ONE IM HAVING TROUBLE OUT OF IS THE 1996 XJ6; ITS PART NUMBER MATCHES VANDEN PLAS WHICH IS WRONG. SOMEONE PUT IN WRONG TCM. YEA THAT DEALER SOLD ME A WATER DAMGE CAR! I REMEBER I HAD TO SWITCH OUT RACK PINION BECAUSE LIL WATER WAS IN THE BOOT. SMH. MY THING IS, I WONDER IF THEY SWITCH THE ECM AS WELL?? BUT THANKS FOR EVERYTHING!! I WILL MAKE SURE YOU GET YOU GET MY 5 STARS!!