Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

My mothers jaguar is getting the message cat system fault…

Customer Question
Pearl my mothers jaguar...

Pearl my mothers jaguar is getting the message cat system fault and it will not go into gear it is stuck in Park and the gear shift just moves up and down it won't go into any other gear.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I'm in Portland, OR she's in Jackson, MS, we're talking on the phone. She is telling me the brake lights are on so the brake switch would be ruled out correct? She just got the shifter replaced in September and 3 weeks ago the shifter cable replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Jaguar?

2002 S type

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No she took it to Bosch service center Jag shop

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all she's done to the car.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Jaguar
5/27/2017
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 5 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
right now the engine starts and runs normally but the shifter will not release from park? Is the vehicle parked on any type of hill or incline?
kinda its at the edge of the driveway.My mother says it's a small incline, the shifter is going up and down but not disengaging from park.
Ok it could be thatg it is parked on an i nvlijne and the weight of the vehicle is on the park lock mechanism. I have run into this before. Sometimes rocking the vehicle forward and nacvk may help in getting it out of park. Ther e is a manuual release. The shifter but the top of the console needs to be poped off.